Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Software Compilation 4.5.1 Released

Phoronix: KDE Software Compilation 4.5.1 Released

The KDE team has announced the release of KDE Software Compilation 4.5.1 less than a month after the release of KDE SC 4.5.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So does it work yet? I tried 4.5.0 in Arch Linux and it had much more bugs than 4.4 ...

I am beginning to believe it will never become stable enough for serious use...

Comment

I hope this time Dolphin will work. In 4.5.0 it crashes all the time randomly or freezes for ~10 seconds when I open or delete files.

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
        I hope this time Dolphin will work. In 4.5.0 it crashes all the time randomly or freezes for ~10 seconds when I open or delete files.
        I really wonder why such things happen. Either the packages I use have been updated with a fix or something else is borked, since I do not experience those crashes you are talking of.

Comment

Originally posted by mat69 View Post
          I really wonder why such things happen. Either the packages I use have been updated with a fix or something else is borked, since I do not experience those crashes you are talking of.
          Same here. Running 4.5.0 on Mandriva and Gentoo and all is fine. In any case you can always check the KDE's bug tracker and see there if your bug is fixed. And if there is no bug reported, well then reporting a crasher bug is at least you can do to help it get fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            So does it work yet? I tried 4.5.0 in Arch Linux and it had much more bugs than 4.4 ...

I am beginning to believe it will never become stable enough for serious use...
            Oh, the SC is very stable. It's just that Arch makes KDE software even more unstable than Kubuntu does. Kubuntu at least tries to fix past mistakes but Arch obviously has no interest in this....

On openSUSE 11.3 KDE SC 4.5.0 was already rock solid. I'm downloading 4.5.1 now.

Comment

Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
              On openSUSE 11.3 KDE SC 4.5.0 was already rock solid. I'm downloading 4.5.1 now.
              +1 for openSUSE's KDE packages. Using the FACTORY repository since the 11.3 release and never experienced any crashes, yet

Comment

I've been using the "KDE Packaging Project" for Fedora and RH, and it's worked very well. No stability issues with 4.5.0.
                I updated last night and saw 4.5.1 on a bunch of stuff. I was very worried that I was pulling in the "beta" for 4.5.1. I didn't think they'd get a release out so soon.
                Haven't had any problems.

The one thing that I wish KDE (and Gnome) would work on is window/widget sizing. I don't like OS X very much, but I think that it gets the initialize window size perfect. It's always the proper size for the content. That's part of Quartz or whatever Apple uses, so KDE and Gnome can't completely duplicate it. But for built-in apps like system-settings, the window should be the correct size. The KDE notifications don't seem to be sized very well either. Icons sometimes get slightly cutoff because they won't shrink to fit the space.
                It's not terribly frustrating, but attention to detail is very important.

Comment

4.5.0 ran perfectly fine in Gentoo. Same for 4.4.x versions. And 4.3.x.

KDE 4 has been ready for over two years now. I guess the various distros weren't ready, I don't know. They only seem to focus on Gnome and fuck up with providing a solid KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    4.5.0 ran perfectly fine in Gentoo. Same for 4.4.x versions. And 4.3.x.

KDE 4 has been ready for over two years now. I guess the various distros weren't ready, I don't know.
                    I guarantee the same for KDE 4.3.x on unstable Gentoo as well. Rock solid! Never tried 4.4 or 4.5.x though...

Comment

Working...
                    X