Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XBMC 10.0 Enters Beta With Plenty Of New Features

Phoronix: XBMC 10.0 Enters Beta With Plenty Of New Features

The developers behind XBMC (formerly known as the X-Box Media Center) have announced their first beta release of XBMC 10.0, which is codenamed Dharma. After being in development for a number of months, this open-source multi-media project hopes they soon will be announcing the final release of XBMC 10.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A so great open-source project, I like it !

Comment

I wish there were some instruction on how to make it run hardware accelerated on Core i3. Most recent XBMCFreak ISO runs pretty well using around 30% CPU when run from Live CD, but once installed starts crawling at 190% CPU use.

Comment

Originally posted by Surge View Post
        I wish there were some instruction on how to make it run hardware accelerated on Core i3. Most recent XBMCFreak ISO runs pretty well using around 30% CPU when run from Live CD, but once installed starts crawling at 190% CPU use.
        Theoretically they should be awarded the Nobel price for managing to use 190% of the CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          Theoretically they should be awarded the Nobel price for managing to use 190% of the CPU.
          Actually seeing 190% cpu usage in linux is common in applications like "top".

What happens is, each core or hyper-threading unit can do up to 100% each, thus if you have a quad-core cpu, if a process/thread runs the CPU at max, you should be able to see up to 400% cpu usage. This only goes for the individual process/threads and not the totals which the application does rework back to 0-100%.

Comment

I heard time ago about add PVR, DVB, etc support in XBMC. My HTPC is awesome with XBMC. It's really a impressive application, but it isn't complete in a living room without TV support.

No news?

Comment

Originally posted by Tinuva View Post
              Actually seeing 190% cpu usage in linux is common in applications like "top".

What happens is, each core or hyper-threading unit can do up to 100% each, thus if you have a quad-core cpu, if a process/thread runs the CPU at max, you should be able to see up to 400% cpu usage. This only goes for the individual process/threads and not the totals which the application does rework back to 0-100%.
              Though in many cases you might want the program to be capable of distinguishing just how many processing units the program actually uses in addition to a simple percentage. It ends up with altogether silly results in the long run with heavily multi-threaded programs and future processors unless we fix that. Image a program running 10 cores at 10% and top shows it as 100% CPU usage. That's a bit misleading, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by tinonino View Post
                I heard time ago about add PVR, DVB, etc support in XBMC. My HTPC is awesome with XBMC. It's really a impressive application, but it isn't complete in a living room without TV support.

No news?
                The PVR capabilites was pushed off to the next release. Completely restructuring their plug-in system was a bigger task then expected. They do have the PVR branch on SVN however if you wish to test it out.

Comment

Originally posted by tinonino View Post

No news?
                  The project was already months late and PVR support wasn't done so it was pushed back to the next version.

As for the 10.0 version number, where did Phoronix get this from? They've been especially vague about the version number since it became obvious that 10.05 wouldn't be appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    The PVR capabilites was pushed off to the next release. Completely restructuring their plug-in system was a bigger task then expected. They do have the PVR branch on SVN however if you wish to test it out.
                    Originally posted by TheCycoONE
                    The project was already months late and PVR support wasn't done so it was pushed back to the next version.
                    Thx both. I hadn't any news about it, so I was asking myself what was happening. I will give a try to PVR branch, and if it isn't mature enough, will wait to next version.

I understand the push back. Plugin system was really very important, specially for community. Glad to know PVR still goes on.

Comment

Working...
                    X