Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightspark Flash Player Continues Marching Forward

Phoronix: Lightspark Flash Player Continues Marching Forward

It was just earlier this month that we were talking about Lightspark now rendering faster and supporting H263/MP3 video when the first Lightspark 0.4.3 release candidate was made available. This open-source project that only reached beta in May aims to provide a completely free software implementation of Adobe's Flash/SWF specification, continues to advance rapidly. Lightspark 0.4.3 was already released and this morning the 0.4.4 release has even made it out the door...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about gnash fallback?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

It's already present in the 0.4.3 release.

See http://allievi.sssup.it/techblog/?p=557

Comment

What is the likelihood of hulu-desktop support?

Comment

Well the good news is they're working on getting support for more audio backends

Comment

Originally posted by Raven3x7 View Post
            Well the good news is they're working on getting support for more audio backends
            Quote++

[10 characters limit]
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Rant: Why do in the open source world three projects try to do the same thing, but none of them actually works?

Rant off.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Rant: Why do in the open source world three projects try to do the same thing, but none of them actually works?

Rant off.
                Maybe it's the same reason people with no clue rant on message boards - they think they know better than the other developers?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Maybe it's the same reason people with no clue rant on message boards - they think they know better than the other developers?
                  Hi, welcome to tha internet.

It's quite frustrating. I'm wondering whether the lightspark guys actually talked to gnash when they started, or at any point for that matter. It seems bit more communication and coordination could really help and greatly accelerate things.

Comment

Lightspark is implementing a completely different version of Flash, and while i'm sure some things are common i think there is a great deal more that isn't. Also, the developer clearly wanted to try using a different architecture, with tools like LLVM that probably wouldn't have been welcomed into the Gnash project.

If one or the other project takes off and really proves to be superior to the other, then perhaps they can merge the functionality of the loser into it. Until then, let's let the developers experiment to figure out which process works better. That's one of the strenghts of open source.

Comment

Working...
                    X