More Patches To Improve Linux Desktop Responsiveness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

howto?

I would *love* a howto on applying these patches.
    I have a netbook with a pathetic 16GB SSD which can do a few MB/s if sequential, but drops down to low kB/s if sequential. It absolutely kills the experience with 30s waits while browsing. If I can keep the GUI working/scrolling/typing while the disk is doing its thing - GREAT!
    So please, what's the easiest way to apply these patches, where do I get them from, step by step?

Many thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by alazyworkaholic View Post
      I would *love* a howto on applying these patches.
      I have a netbook with a pathetic 16GB SSD which can do a few MB/s if sequential, but drops down to low kB/s if sequential. It absolutely kills the experience with 30s waits while browsing. If I can keep the GUI working/scrolling/typing while the disk is doing its thing - GREAT!
      So please, what's the easiest way to apply these patches, where do I get them from, step by step?

Many thanks,
      either try:

* git.zen-kernel.org (www.zen-kernel.org)

or my "baby"

* http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-850392.html

if you favor interactivity over (slightly lower) throughput then
      apply:
      # the 2 patches from the subfolder "20_optional_mm_memcopy" from my broken-out tarball
      # optionally revert the 2 patches from "12_[dm-devel] [PATCH] DM-CRYPT: Scale to multiple CPUs v3"
      and watch closely the following thread which might yield several improving patches: 2.6.36 io bring the system to its knees
      (among them ext4: Relax i_mutex hold times)

Comment

Working...
      X