S3TC => r600{c,g}

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
    My understanding is that the code for supporting S3TC with R600 (both classic and gallium) hasn't been written yet...
    Exactly.

[stupid character limit]
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
      the values are in the R700 ISA spec as BC1, BC3 and BC5 which are the DX10 equivs of DXTn,

though the driver needs a bit more work than just adding the values.
      Thanks, now I see it. That wasn't exactly the obvious place to look :-/ .

And, actually, yes, my patch does not quite work. yet.

Comment

the values are in the R700 ISA spec as BC1, BC3 and BC5 which are the DX10 equivs of DXTn,

DXT1,3,5 should be BC1,2,3 afaik.

For those interested in hacking http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~andrem/...g/?h=r600-dxtn has an experiment on r600c.
        It should do tex upload (compressed or not) but no subteximage or getteximage, enough to run ut though. An yes, you probably have to
        modify your kernel to allow these tex formats

Comment

this patch adds BCn values, couple of switches in is_foobar_supported() functions so that mesa advertises s3tc extensions but does not try compress_with_blit(); util_format_s3tc_init() and check from test-hack is merged, format.h is not yet.

Status: does not draw the frame with compressed textures on it.

I read r300g code, it just sets corresponding format, nothing more. What does r[67]xx need above that?

Comment

Originally posted by taiu View Post
            For those interested in hacking http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~andrem/...g/?h=r600-dxtn has an experiment on r600c.
            It should do tex upload (compressed or not) but no subteximage or getteximage, enough to run ut though. An yes, you probably have to
            modify your kernel to allow these tex formats
            Great. I suspected it had something to do with tile_type/tile_mode. Will try to transcribe that into r600g this evening.

Comment

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

R600 Gallium3D Driver Now Supports S3TC Library

Posted by Michael Larabel on February 15, 2011

Comment

Yeah! I'm compiling everything by ssh.... To bad I need to wait after work to try...

Comment

For me don't work.
                  I have 2.6.38rc4 + r600G (Gallium 0.4 on 7.11-devel) and have 3D aceleration, but recompiled the drivers + install + reboot does not change anything.
                  Only increase 0.2fps the speed

Comment

You need drm-radeon-testing kernel (hopefully 2.6.39 will be enough).
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Dave,

Any chance this could be added to 2.6.38 or is this change too late/too intrusive?
                      Since the new formats are only available via envvar, the risk is mitigated, no?

Comment

Working...
                      X