No announcement yet.

Catalyst 10.8 released...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone. I'm an Italian user who uses Kubuntu 10.04 on Toshiba L500 1v5 with ATI Radeon HD 4650 graphic card (sorry if my English is bad).

I've installed ATI Catalyst drivers 10.08 replacing open source driver because I need hardware acceleration for reproduction of HD videos with VLC 1.1.x.
    Unfortunately, the reproduction isn't good with all videos that I tried. When a video is reproducing, before some parts of the image freeze and after they return normal. This often occurs...
    Can someone help me?

Here is my xorg.conf:
    Code:
    Section "Module"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    	Driver      "fglrx"
    	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    	Option	    "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    	Option	    "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
    	Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    	Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    	DefaultDepth     24
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Viewport   0 0
    		Depth     24
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
    	Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
    EndSection

Comment

Originally posted by migizi View Post
      I'm sure this comment will create a flame war, but I'm going to give my 2 cents anyways. ATI/AMD has been quite open with specifications to help the open source community. They employ developers to write drivers for their hardware. I don't seem to run into the issues that everyone talks about. I run Arch with the vanilla driver install from ATI. While their drivers are not perfect in Linux, why don't people just stop ripping into ATI and help write the open source driver? The complaints sound like spoiled kids who don't get their way. "Mom the sandwich you made isn't very good." "Well make your own." "I don't want to, I want you to learn to make a better sandwich so I can continue to be spoiled."

If you find a bug, report it. Don't just go to the forums and complain about how bad things are and that your life completely sucks because something isn't going your way. Learn to fix it or stop complaining.
      well said ^^

let's not forget: the catalyst driver was mainly intended for the enterprise customers, is that correct ?

Comment

FireGL and Radeon X driver is the name... FireGL gets a slightly different OpenGL stack optimized for professional opengl apps. This is not faster for Linux games but for benchmarks like specviewperf.

Comment

I'm sure this comment will create a flame war, but I'm going to give my 2 cents anyways. ATI/AMD has been quite open with specifications to help the open source community. They employ developers to write drivers for their hardware. I don't seem to run into the issues that everyone talks about. I run Arch with the vanilla driver install from ATI. While their drivers are not perfect in Linux, why don't people just stop ripping into ATI and help write the open source driver? The complaints sound like spoiled kids who don't get their way. "Mom the sandwich you made isn't very good." "Well make your own." "I don't want to, I want you to learn to make a better sandwich so I can continue to be spoiled."

If you find a bug, report it. Don't just go to the forums and complain about how bad things are and that your life completely sucks because something isn't going your way. Learn to fix it or stop complaining.
          Ummm demanding features to work on a card you played good money for is not being a spoiled child. Nvidia does why can't ATI.

Comment

Ok, nobody can help me, but just let me know a thing: does ATI Catalyst support "hardware acceleration" for reproduction of videos?

However, is it normal that with these drivers I can't reproduce well all my videos? I'm very disappointed from ATI.

Someone will tell me: use open source driver. But with them, fan speed is too high. They warn up too much!
            Isn't there any solutions?

Comment

I'm still having the black screen with Firefox / Thunderbird :/ Anyone knows a solution for this problem?

Comment

It's all very well telling people to report bugs, but there's various OpenGL related bugs that've been reported on the bug tracker and then just been ignored despite repeated comments asking for status updates from ATI. Or when they claim to have fixed an issue on there but it's still broken in the driver and they never respond to queries on it.

Comment

what 'show stopping bugs' in unigine? worksforme

Comment

Im having the same problem where I get 10.7 showing.

Comment

Sigh... Four Straight Months of Non-Working Drivers

Sigh...

Four months, four drivers, three different or non-existing error messages, none work. I'm doomed to be stuck on 10.4 on 2.6.33-rc8 that works fine except for slow performance. I really don't think I'm going to even try next month.

This month's driver still stops at where last month's driver stops at with no errors:

Code:
                      (II) AMD Video driver is running on a device belonging to a group targeted for this release
                      (II) AMD Video driver is signed
                      (II) fglrx(0): pEnt->device->identifier=0x9e5fa10
                      (II) fglrx(0): === [atiddxPreInit] === begin
                      hd2600

1. removed slack packages
                      2. verified files removed and removed /etc/ati, copied xorg.conf
                      3. reboot into 2.6.34.1
                      4. run ati installer
                      5. build slack packages
                      6. install packages
                      7. verify files, copy _dri.so to proper location.
                      8. run ati-config --initial
                      9. reboot
                      10. startx
                      11. disappointment
                      12. remove packages
                      13. reboot into 2.6.33-rc8
                      14. install 10.4
                      15. didn't bother to do ati-config --initial
                      16. 10.4 still the only working driver I've had.

Comment

Working...
                      X