Catalyst 10.8 released...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Change your tv settings. For Philips i had to define the output as PC to get rid of any optimisations incl. overscan.
    Sorry Kano I meant that I have to set the overscan in amdccle to 0% not 100%. But that isn't any different from previous versions of fglrx. What is different, is that it isn't being applied on bootup anymore. I have to go into amdccle and wiggle overscan so that the change takes effect.

Maybe I'll try clearing the /etc/ati directory again.

Thanks.

Comment

I've run into an issue with 10.8 where X will go berserk (100% CPU, impossible to kill) when the screens go into DPMS off state. Screens won't turn back on. SSH'ing in shows X at 100% CPU, doesn't respond to kill (even kill -9) commands, reboot the only option. Ubuntu 10.04, Compiz, HD5770.

Comment

Installed smoothly on Gentoo system with kernel 2.6.35 and xorg-server 1.8.2.

However, as with 10.6 and 10.7, the card (HD 5770) idles like 5 degrees celsius warmer than with 10.5 (and older). The card just throttles the clocks to 100% randomly from time to time with no apparent reason (eg. while idle on desktop).

Is there a reason for this behaviour? I think I'll have to - again, sigh - revert back to 10.5 just to keep my card passively cooled when idle... Have to say good job otherwise, nice to see everything working without any hacks (patched xorg-server, spoofed version numbers etc.) required anymore. If only the power savings worked.

Comment

Originally posted by Minigun View Post
          However, as with 10.6 and 10.7, the card (HD 5770) idles like 5 degrees celsius warmer than with 10.5 (and older). The card just throttles the clocks to 100% randomly from time to time with no apparent reason (eg. while idle on desktop).

Is there a reason for this behaviour? I think I'll have to - again, sigh - revert back to 10.5 just to keep my card passively cooled when idle... Have to say good job otherwise, nice to see everything working without any hacks (patched xorg-server, spoofed version numbers etc.) required anymore. If only the power savings worked.
          I also have noticed the random power throttling on my 5770 in 10.6 and 10.7....The temps aren't really anything to be worried about though, at least for me instead of low 40's its high 40's(maybe hit 50s under light work)....of course since 10.8 decided that my vertial sync should be 30 instead of 60 I have found myself back on driver 10.7 enduring the random power surges.

Despite these glaring and frustrating breakages, though, I do have to admit that this new direct2d API (or whatever they are calling it now) really does seem to be coming along, Video playback with compiz enabled (using gl) barely tears anymore...infact, other than the condemned wobbly windows, compiz seems to extremely fluid....and overall my desktop experience has greatly improved over the last two releases....enough that I won't even complain about the latest 10.8 release crippling my desktop with v-sync capping my fps at 30...well that's probably not true...but progress is progress, and so I thank the fglrx team for giving me some kind of reason to have some faith in the future on ati

Comment

black rectangles where 2D stuff fails to render

I've just upgraded from Fedora 12 to Fedora 13, and from Catalyst 10.4 to 10.8. It sort of works, but I see a lot of places where 2D rendering is failing and I'm getting black rectangles. For instance, in Firefox and Thunderbird, though by no means limited to those.

Sometimes minimizing and unminimizing, or dragging another window in front to obscure then unobscure the problem region will get it to render correctly.

This is extremely aggravating; it makes the system almost unusable.

Hardware:
            Phenom II X4 965 BE CPU
            Asus M4A785TD-M EVO motherboard with integrated Radeon something-or-other graphics, with no monitor connected
            Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 card, dual DVI, only one DVI port in use
            Dell 3008WFP monitor, 2560x1600 resolution

Software:
            Fedora 13
            kernel-2.6.34.6-47.fc13.x86_64
            xorg-x11-server-common-1.8.2-3.fc13.x86_64
            Catalyst 10.8

server log:
            http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/comput...f13-cat108.log

Comment

I don't have that issue, but have heard others talk about it, and that disabling the new 2d engine by running "aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,ForceXAA,TRUE" as root fixes it, although you are back with the same 2d experience as before...

Comment

Thanks chronniff, I'll give that a try. I hadn't found any info on the problem when I searched, but I probably just didn't hit the right combination of words in the search.

Hopefully 10.9 will fix the problem.

Comment

yeah I'm back on 10.7 for a whole other regression...here's to 10.9 fixing everything...if not, hopefully the open drivers will be stable enough to offer a relatively pain free alternative

Comment

Brouhaha, what happens if you use the IGP? I'm asking because I have the same motherboard and I'm using the IGP with openSUSE 11.2 and no problems here since Catalyst 10.6. The only issue is that I loose the window borders when switching on Compositing and the only fix is to restart the session, and also when using compositing, some windowed OpenGL programs don't work very well.

Comment

Working...
                    X