No announcement yet.

Fedora 14 "Laughlin" Alpha Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe it's just me but I find gcc pretty essential, even on a Live CD.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
      Ah, okay thanks. Firefox says 704MB for the AMD64 version, I'll give it a try.
      I've never actually understood the purpose behind a 64bit livecd... a 64bit CPU can run the 32bit livecd perfectly well, and it isn't like you're going to use it as your primary desktop -- just in emergency situations, where you want to maximize compatibility (i.e. in case you happen to sit behind a machine with a genuine 32bit CPU).

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
        Maybe it's just me but I find gcc pretty essential, even on a Live CD.
        I think its just you. I can't think of a single reason for gcc on a livecd.

On an installed system absolutely... can't live without being about to compile hacked kernels, mods, etc., but a livecd?

Remember that the livecd gives you ssh, so you can use a proper server for compiling stuff and just network it over if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          I've never actually understood the purpose behind a 64bit livecd... a 64bit CPU can run the 32bit livecd perfectly well, and it isn't like you're going to use it as your primary desktop -- just in emergency situations, where you want to maximize compatibility (i.e. in case you happen to sit behind a machine with a genuine 32bit CPU).
          64bit version is useful if you actually end up installing the live CD to the machine. Live CD installs are very fast and I use it every time I updgrade to the new release. I boot live CD to see if it works with my machine, and if all is well I just install it.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            I've never actually understood the purpose behind a 64bit livecd...
            Errr... To try it out and see if it actualy works? A friend of mine had a 64bit CPU by the time that AMD had just released the first one and Ubuntu 64bit never worked, while 32bit did. Kind of nice to know before you whipe your hdd...

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
              I don't think it's included in the desktop install either so that would be consistent?
              Yes it is. I'm also not sure where you got the info that it's not on the live cd, I have a fc14 alpha-rc4 installed here and seeing how the installer is only copying the live cd onto the harddrive and gcc is on that...

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                According to Wikipedia there's two versions of the D programming language: 1.0 and 2.0, does anyone know which version is Fedora bundling?
                Fedora use D1, why?
                • D2 is not stable
                • any free compiler support yet D2 (LDC the best than GDC)
                • standard runtime library tango are working for D2 support

You can start a project using D1 and later upgrade your code to D2 is a little works.

All C++ programmer can help ldc project
                All people can help tango for D support (written in D)

Documentation:

Comment

It looks like systemd will be defered to F15. This was decided at the Meeting FESCO meeting see here.
                  The response of a developer who worked a lot on systemd is also interesting, here.

Comment

Working...
                  X