Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The OpenSolaris Board Just Killed Itself, As Expected

Phoronix: The OpenSolaris Board Just Killed Itself, As Expected

Last month we reported that the OpenSolaris Governing Board may kill itself if Oracle would not appoint a liaison to the OpenSolaris community to interact with and communicate their future plans. After that OGB death threat was announced, the Illumos project was announced, which is basically a fork of OpenSolaris. Less than two weeks ago, however, Oracle finally announced it would be killing off OpenSolaris and making other changes to how Oracle Solaris is developed and delivered. With that said, the OpenSolaris Governing Board approved the decision this morning to end itself and return control of the OpenSolaris community to Oracle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still have Linux

OpenSolaris was always a useless distraction for desktop users. All desktop development efforts should be focused on Linux, which has the momentum and a strong copy-left license to ensure that improvements remain open and benefit all end-users.

Comment

Desktop development can pretty much be platform agnostic, given there are mature cross platform libraries for it, like Qt for example. So it has nothing to do with specifically Linux or OpenSolaris.

Comment

tell me as a Linux user who understands how Solaris just doesn't work how to do any of the following:

the command: "ifconfig bge0 addif 192.168.34.7 netmask 255.255.255.0 up"
        to add a virtual interface attached to bge0 with the address and netmask specified.

the command: "snoop -d bge0 not port 22"
        to watch all network traffic on bge0 that isn't via the ssh connection I'm connected in via

the command: "zpool import jadpool"
        to import a zfs pool on a USB device and mount all the relevant points over the file system in the same points they were last mounted.

I like Linux. My kids and wife use it at home on a dual boot system that hasn't actually run windows since 2009. I work in an office full of Linux Laptops because it works quicker and uses less resources on a laptop that OpenSolaris ... but my work laptop runs OpenSolaris and every so often I get asked to do stuff, especially networking, because I can and it's so much easier.

Linux is very good but it's not necessarily better.

Comment

It is better because it's license guarantees that it will stay FREE for ever.

Comment

As strange as it may seem the CDDL means that the code of OpenSolaris will remain open and free forever ...

the GPL isn't the only license that allows that.

Comment

Originally posted by jadrevenge View Post
              As strange as it may seem the CDDL means that the code of OpenSolaris will remain open and free forever ...

the GPL isn't the only license that allows that.
              Actually it seems more like GPL isn't about making free code but making a community of free code that is insanely hard to kill. This is the catch about GPL. Community comes first, everything else comes next.

Comment

Edit delay; and the means of accomplishing they took to that is of a viral lisence and accumulating intellectual property to the community, slowly but surely. Every inventive GPL program makes the GPL community a bit more powerful.

Comment

Kudoz to nanonyme

Comment

Agreed, I've never seen the GNU GPL from this angle.
                    Now I have a good answer when someone tells me I care too much about the code, just because I want to chose a good license.

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                    X