Gnash 0.8.8 Has VA-API, Claims 100% YouTube Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
    I can't imagine the hell of the performance hit you get by doing this. It'as already a crap under windows, but with wine...
    Oh? I've always had 32bit Adobe Flash running at very high speeds. It's mostly that I probably need better GLSL support for accelerating Windows Flash over Wine than Linux Flash.

Comment

Nothing like starting an article with a run-on sentence.

Comment

gnash does not work. I give it an F overall.

1. It seems to require ancient and dead agg-2.5 (Anti-Grain Geometry/what is that? had to find it on the web) to compile. Configure does not tell you that so it gets an F here.

2. agg is difficult to compile. Another F.

3. Running plane configure with no options then compiling results in a successful compile. Running the program gives an, "Could not initialize GUI". Another F.

4. configuring with, "--enable-gui=gtk" produces, "Error: Could not load movie!" Another F.

5. configuring with, "--enable-gui=kde4" is a no go. Another F.

6. using the verbose switches give no helpful clues as to why flv files fail to play. Another F.

7. Where is the plugin? Another F.
        _

To developers of this software: a plain configure should produce a working program.

Comment

I'm running Gnash 0.8.7 right here and it is 100% compatible with YouTube. It is just that YouTube has this policy of blocking old crap, so because Gnash doesn't authorise itself as the latest Adobe Flash version it gets blocked.

However, if you watch embedded YouTube video's, like on Phoronix, it works like a charm

It has less CPU consumption which seems to be 'fixed', so if you fullscreen it you're screwed

Comment

Originally posted by charlie View Post
            gnash does not work. I give it an F overall.

6. using the verbose switches give no helpful clues as to why flv files fail to play. Another F.

7. Where is the plugin? Another F.
            Pretty much what I experienced. Compilation from source has an awful lot of options and switches barely explained with no clear defaults. I believe the plugin is always built, but only installed if you do something like make --install-plugin (more or less). I grabbed the binary from the repos and it didn't work either, not even playing a test swf file pointed to in the wiki...

By the way, I believe gnash plays flv files using ffmpeg, so it has to know where to find it.

Overall so far: garbage.

Originally posted by Vincent
            I'm running Gnash 0.8.7 right here and it is 100% compatible with YouTube. It is just that YouTube has this policy of blocking old crap, so because Gnash doesn't authorise itself as the latest Adobe Flash version it gets blocked.
            Uhm?

Originally posted by Vincent
            It has less CPU consumption which seems to be 'fixed', so if you fullscreen it you're screwed
            Uhmm?

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
              Uhm? & Uhmm?
              Gnash doesn't use a lot of CPU. So when you're watchng a YouTube video, for example, it works perfect. However if you fullscreen it it still uses the same amount of CPU, but the video starts stutter and the YouTube controls get unresponsive. This is on a AMD Phenom 9950 quadcore

And YouTube blocking older crap like IE6 and older Flash versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                which Video Acceleration? The R500 Cards support only Xv.
                Actually it does have Video Acceleration.

The R5xx family introduced a more advanced onboard motion-video engine. Like the Radeon cards since the R100, the R5xx can offload almost the entire MPEG-1/2 video pipeline. The R5xx can also assist in Microsoft WMV9/VC-1 and MPEG H.264/AVC decoding, by a combination of the 3D/pipeline's shader-units and the motion-video engine. Benchmarks show only a modest decrease in CPU-utilization for VC-1 and H.264 playback.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R520

I hope someday to take advantage of that.

Gallium 3D FTW?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                  Gnash doesn't use a lot of CPU. So when you're watchng a YouTube video, for example, it works perfect. However if you fullscreen it it still uses the same amount of CPU, but the video starts stutter and the YouTube controls get unresponsive. This is on a AMD Phenom 9950 quadcore

And YouTube blocking older crap like IE6 and older Flash versions.
                  Oh, I see. Your quotes around "fixed" confused me, I thought you were being sarcastic, as in "Gnash used to use a lot of CPU cycles, but they "fixed" it now, heh". But you actually meant that the CPU usage is constant, right? Which sounds...odd...and stupid on Gnash.

That, plus the blocking thing you mention makes the "100% youtube compatibility" claim misleading to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
                    Oh, I see. Your quotes around "fixed" confused me, I thought you were being sarcastic, as in "Gnash used to use a lot of CPU cycles, but they "fixed" it now, heh". But you actually meant that the CPU usage is constant, right? Which sounds...odd...and stupid on Gnash.
                    Yeah I wanted to type something along the lines of 'fixed rate', but then I realized there is no such thing

That, plus the blocking thing you mention makes the "100% youtube compatibility" claim misleading to say the least.
                    Well it actually errors out, but I *think* it errors out becuase YouTube does test what Adobe Flash version you have and kicks you out or let you stream based on that info. YouTube only checks your Flash version on their own website and not when it's embedded on another site. I can't think of any other reason...

I made a screen capture of it. It is a 20.7 MB ogv video, so it is pretty large. Uploaded it here in case anyone is interested:

I suggest the direct download option as it is pretty fast and without the standard crap.

Comment

Random number generator

Just installed gnash 0.8.8-1 and konqueror and mozilla plugins from debian/experimantal (x86 installation). Atleast youtube works on firefox, doesn't seem to work on konqueror. Might work though, maybe something about having gnash loaded in firefox first, don't know.

Comment

Working...
                      X