No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so this is 2010's equivalent of last year's GT210 & GT220 right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
      thats it! modern german BRD fight fascism by the same tools than the naszis do.
      no differend just another name.

on nvidia they really should stop this nazi/Fascism "CUDA/PhysX/anti-opensource"

"CUDA/PhysX/anti-opensource" is the same as Nazis stoping Jews doing business

if Nvidia wins with that ""CUDA/PhysX/anti-opensource"" Nvidia just pull (intel/AMD/VIA) out of business like the same as the Jews goes out of business in the Nazi empire.

CUDA and PhysX are really really bad! just like Nazi Fascism
      This literally caused me to ROFLMAO. I totally agree though, Nvidia is evil, no matter how good their drivers are.

Comment

• so this is 2010's equivalent of last year's GT210 & GT220 right?

Comment

• Not greatly familiar with NVidia cards so I am not real sure about what you are getting at but.............

I have a Gigabyte GTX 260SOC and Gigabyte GTX 460, the latter is as slow as a wet week compared to the 260SOC both on Linux and WindowsXP. Frames rates for the 460 are only 60% of 260SOC. Incidently I have a Radeon 4870 the GTX260SOC and this perform nearly the same.

Blacksmith

Comment

• the 200 series are discussed here...

Last year the GT 210/220 were the best solution overall in linux for those whom want well-rounded VA using VDPAU.

as Intel's IGP was still far from sufficient.
            I suspect that may still be the case (albeit better), due to software support, haven't looked closely yet.

They were also just okay for some 3d acceleration, certainly better than IGP.
            And most importantly were very low power...

I'm wandering what this years equivalents are called from the new 400 series* family, or are they not released yet?

*perhaps it mentioned in here, yet to read entire thing

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
              It's been said so many times already. Nvidia users are at NvNews, Ati users here.
              Nvidia user here. What's said and what's reality are often mutually exclusive. I come to phoronix because they do decent investigative journalism and technical comparisons which almost no other manages to do as consistently. I also enjoy watching the ATI fan crowd try and shit on NV at every turn. It's been that way since 2002 and it'll stay that way forever. ATI drivers are shit and everyone knows this to be true. ATI is fine and often more power efficient but they still can't write a stable driver for any OS and they probably never will.

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
                This literally caused me to ROFLMAO. I totally agree though, Nvidia is evil, no matter how good their drivers are.
                Of course they are, they supply working drivers. So evil. ATI are doing you all such a good favour with shitty closed and open source drivers. Must feel good donating to the Cult of ATI.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post
                  Not greatly familiar with NVidia cards so I am not real sure about what you are getting at but.............

I have a Gigabyte GTX 260SOC and Gigabyte GTX 460, the latter is as slow as a wet week compared to the 260SOC both on Linux and WindowsXP. Frames rates for the 460 are only 60% of 260SOC. Incidently I have a Radeon 4870 the GTX260SOC and this perform nearly the same.

Blacksmith
                  The 200 series are discussed here...

Last year the GT 210/220 were the best solution overall in linux for those whom want well-rounded VA using VDPAU.

as Intel's IGP was still far from sufficient.
                  I suspect that may still be the case (albeit better), due to software support, haven't looked closely yet.

They were also just okay for some 3d acceleration, certainly better than IGP.
                  And most importantly were very low power...

I'm wandering what this years equivalents are called from the new 400 series* family, or are they not released yet?

*perhaps it mentioned in here, yet to read entire thing

Comment

• Originally posted by IsawSparks View Post
                    Nvidia user here. What's said and what's reality are often mutually exclusive. I come to phoronix because they do decent investigative journalism and technical comparisons which almost no other manages to do as consistently. I also enjoy watching the ATI fan crowd try and shit on NV at every turn. It's been that way since 2002 and it'll stay that way forever. ATI drivers are shit and everyone knows this to be true. ATI is fine and often more power efficient but they still can't write a stable driver for any OS and they probably never will.
                    ATI are Windows supporters so I still don't understand that allegiance.

Also, the NvNews forum has at least two Linux sections and ATI has NO dedicated or specific forum for Linux users. NONE. ZIP. How does ATI profess to support Linux and not have a forum with 'Linux' as a sub-forum anywhere. The 'ATI/AMD' devs or video driver experts here are specific to the open drivers although comment on binary as well but it's only because this seems to be the only forum for discussion of any support.

But, AMD/ATI specific forums have no linux category, section or sub-forum of any kind relating to Linux.

Comment

• Panix, I have answered these questions for you at least once before but...

By the time the ATI/AMD forums were set up we already had both open source and closed source devs responding to user issues on the Phoronix forums. We had to choose between trying to move that activity over to the ATI/AMD forums (which would end up with us having to monitor two sites rather than one) or leaving the activity here. We chose the latter.

Secondly, a lot of the usage scenarios where forum interaction makes sense are covered by the open source drivers for our products rather than proprietary drivers (remember our competitors open source driver was not really aimed at general use) so focusing more on the open source drivers is IMO a better match with what our users are... um... using.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X