No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have the 460 and love it. I've ran comparisons against my 8800gt and 280's on phoronix-test-suite and it seems to perform very well.
    Just check the global.phoronix-test-suite.com for my unigine tests.

Comment

• Does the GTS 450 cards work well? I'm wondering if xv is supported with those cards. Any other formats besides MPEG-2 supported?

Looks like ATI/AMD is a lost cause with no Xvideo support ever even with latest binary drivers and even a very recent supported distro, Ubuntu 10.10:

RE: thread of UVD2 with ATI in Linux

Comment

• Originally posted by Panix View Post
        Does the GTS 450 cards work well? I'm wondering if xv is supported with those cards. Any other formats besides MPEG-2 supported?
        I'd like to know this too, I'd be surprised if it didn't.
        The series that pre-dates the current 400 series worked very well.

I'd prefer a lower-end part like the GS420, as it's VA is likely to be just a good.
        But apparently it's only available to OEM's etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by jalyst View Post
          That's if you're referring to video acceleration API's like VDPAU?
          Which is nV's proprietary implementation...

There is another more open one that attempts to make a universal VA API for *nix, but nV hasn't jumped on board.
          And Intel/AMD's implementations aren't terribly good.

Comment

That's if you're referring to video acceleration API's like VDPAU?
            Which is nV's proprietary implementation...
            libvdpau is free software.

Comment

• yes I know, cheers.

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                So what was the point of this card again?
                Linux drivers that work worth a crap?

Comment

• Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                  Heh, I live in a country where patents do not exist... in a whole continent actually free of patents. THAT'S reality deanjo, no the illusion that the whole world is America. There are still free people out there you know...
                  Now about that non-economic driven society... what the hell has to do that with the fact that you call us fascists?
                  First, I have told you before that every society was, is and will be economic-driven. The open source model is economically viable. If not then maybe Google, Intel, AMD, Nokia and dozens of other companies are full of illusionists... or maybe you believe that one and only one model can be economically viable because it happens to have the lion's part in a specific period!
                  But again what that has to do with us being fascists? Because we play clearly and openly and we offer everything for free means we are obligated to open our house to everyone? You are fascist deanjo, you and your alike who get the education the ancestors offer you, you close it and packet it giving back nothing and leave noone to learn from it as if you gained your abilities magically outside from this world and thus you owe nothing and you believe thst you have the right to do so... and all these in the name of the very model you have based this paranoia!
                  If we are fascists deanjo then you are what? Destroyers? Murderers? Or just uber selfish and scrooges? What? My english suddenly seems to be very poor to characterize you!
                  This entire post looks like it's been ran through babelfish about a dozen times.

Comment

• Originally posted by psycho_driver View Post
                    This entire post looks like it's been ran through babelfish about a dozen times.
                    Heh I suppose you don't use Babelfish very often. Do you?

Comment

I'd prefer a lower-end part like the GS420, as it's VA is likely to be just a good.
                      But apparently it's only available to OEM's etc.
                      In general, GTS and GS series are castrated and pretty low-end. Contrary to the common myth, especially on the mobile side (MXM), you can get NVIDIA Fermi chips at lower prices than an AMD Evergreen part, for the same performance, and even less power consumption. I was the first surprised by that, and I am not talking about 5% marginal difference...

Comment

Working...
                      X