Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau's Gallium3D Driver Gets Some Love Too

Phoronix: Nouveau's Gallium3D Driver Gets Some Love Too

Yesterday was an exciting day for those Linux users interested in AMD's open-source ATI driver work with the release of the Radeon HD 5000 series 2D/3D driver, Radeon HD 6000 series support getting underway, and many ATI R600 Gallium3D driver improvements over the past few days. If though you are a NVIDIA customer interested in open-source support, there's great news for you today with the Nouveau driver that greatly improves the Gallium3D support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news, I can't wait for this to hit xorg-edgers for Maverick. I already use the gallium driver daily and it is very stable (plus I have a nice boot and usable VTs unlike with the proprietary driver). Greatly looking forward to testing the new code, it sounds like fun breakage might be ahead. Much yay!

Comment

i really wish i didn't depend on the blob's fast 3d. nouveau looks like a very nice desktop driver.

maybe i'll use it on an ion netbook in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by portets43 View Post
        i really wish i didn't depend on the blob's fast 3d. nouveau looks like a very nice desktop driver.

maybe i'll use it on an ion netbook in the future.
        For that, we'll have to wait for power management.

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
          For that, we'll have to wait for power management.
          And this is may harder as 3D acceleration. As an good example are the ATI Drivers. All documentation available but Dyn PM is extremely hard to implement.

Comment

Plus unless I remember incorrectly ATi drivers get to use AtomBIOS for power management.

Comment

This is much much more interesting than their ugly blob. If nvidia did ANYTHING to support the nouveau devs, I might consider buying nvidia hardware. It is actually very sad, on one hand, the nouveau devs are very skilled and doing amazing work building this very nice driver without much to go on -- this makes me want to use nouveau, but the idea of sending money to nvidia makes me physically ill.

I have just recently ditched the last nvidia part out of my desktop, the only nvidia I still have is in my laptop, but without some kind of power management, nouveau just doesn't quite cut it. I've been holding off upgrading that thing until nouveau is in a state where nouveau will do the job -- still running Fedora 9 on it. I may just have to break down and upgrade it and either run the power hungry nouveau or the latest blob. Neither option is particularly appealing to me.

Comment

Maybe you could get used nVidia parts without paying for them? That should allow you to use Nouveau without breaking against your morals.

Comment

Working...
                X