Another Benefit To Kernel Mode-Setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    And when more web ads become non-Flash based...
    that sounds like the argument "there is no games for linux because they all use windows to play games, or the drivers are not good enough" or something silly like that.

and i have flash disabled here, wastes way to much cpu power on average; i like to keep my cpu fan low when web browsing, so thats not a problem. pretty much the only adds allowed here are images or something simple like gif.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
      Come on, isn't this a bit early for a pro-HTML5 campaign? Let's wait a few months and see how many browsers support the video tags then in released versions.
      My primary concern is not whether or not Phoronix embeds the video in the webpage. As I said, HTML 5 video would be a bonus but it is not the focus of my criticism. My suggestion is for Phoronix to provide ALL content (text, images, audio, video) in open, documented, non-patent-encumbered formats. Obviously we are there in regard to text and images, however audio content should be made available in something open like Ogg Vorbis or FLAC. Video content should be made available in something open like Ogg Theora or VP8. Again, this has nothing to do with embedding the video in the page for playback in the browser--that is gravy.

Open is what made the Internet what it is. TCP, IP, HTTP, HTML, CSS, Javascript, JPEG, PNG, SVG, PDF: These things are able to be implemented by anyone and as a result there are a wide variety of platforms that support them. Video and audio content are no less important and should be provided in a format that isn't being held hostage by a company or cartel.

To reiterate, I am asking Phoronix to please make all content available in open, unencumbered formats. If you insist on making content available in proprietary formats (e.g. Flash, MP3) please offer them in addition to open formats.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        YouTube is fine, thank you. Please don't change it. It's the only thing that works reliably everywhere.
        Sometimes your arguments just leave me astonished bro...

Comment

To be fair

Michael didn't create that video. It was in the blog he linked to, and he just embedded the same Youtube link it did.

Creating a OSS-friendly version of his own content seems like a no-brainer, but doing it for other peoples content may be more difficult. Generally for a video like this no one cares if you copy it around, but I suppose technically it would be copyright infringement if he didn't get permission beforehand from the author.

Comment

Well, there hasn't been a bug-free 64-bit flash plugin for a while, and I really don't want to install a 32-bit browser + dependencies just for a plugin.

Michael, could you please add a link to the youtube-videos below the embed? That way we could just copy the URL and paste them into youtube-dl or watch them via html5 on youtube (if available).

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
              My primary concern is not whether or not Phoronix embeds the video in the webpage. As I said, HTML 5 video would be a bonus but it is not the focus of my criticism
              Well, Flash won't be supporting Matroska for WebM so we need HTML5 for it anyhow if we want something as simple as Youtube to work and don't want MPEG LA breathing on our backs (ie the VP8 case). Imo all of this is very much dependent on browser support. Before HTML5 majority of people is dependent on which codecs Flash supports. Hence the change probably will not come before all browsers have released versions that support HTML5 video tags. (which will probably take some time still)

Comment

Well, Flash won't be supporting Matroska for WebM so we need HTML5 for it anyhow if we want something as simple as Youtube to work and don't want MPEG LA breathing on our backs (ie the VP8 case). Imo all of this is very much dependent on browser support. Before HTML5 majority of people is dependent on which codecs Flash supports. Hence the change probably will not come before all browsers have released versions that support HTML5 video tags. (which will probably take some time still)

It is more important that the file format be open than whether or not the browser supports it. If a VP8 video were made available, it could be watched in mplayer, totem, VLC, Windows Media Player, etc. That is the beauty of open formats. Depending on the platform, it may not work "out-of-the-box", but then again neither does Flash.

Yes, ultimately HTML 5 would be nice, but that is not the main argument. Linking to VP8 or Theora content has nothing to do with HTML 5.

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                Michael didn't create that video. It was in the blog he linked to, and he just embedded the same Youtube link it did.
                Fair enough. That was not clear to me after skimming the article. But this is not the first time Flash content has been used on this site. And if a site like Phoronix which targets Linux users isn't providing all its content in an open format then who will?

Comment

Can KDB do this during kernel panics? allowing the user to be notified that it crashed, instead of having the whole thing freeze?

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                    Linking to VP8 or Theora content has nothing to do with HTML 5
                    Since you seemed to miss the point, VP8 has the risk of becoming non-free due to patent pool attempts by MPEG LA. I doubt we want to rely on that VP8 for now.

Comment

Since you seemed to miss the point, VP8 has the risk of becoming non-free due to patent pool attempts by MPEG LA. I doubt we want to rely on that VP8 for now.
                      I disagree. It's not the first time the MPEG LA tries to scare people about patents. They pretty much said the same thing years ago about Theora and...nothing happened. VP8 should really be adopted as early and much as possible for it to gain momentum.

Comment

Working...
                      X