No announcement yet.

Another Benefit To Kernel Mode-Setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty cool, although KDB is somewhat limited in nature.

Comment

If it can help to debug kernel drivers, it already fills an unused slot in Linux functionality, whether limited in nature or not.

Comment

Yes but still it would be nice to have full source level debugging in kernel without the need of a remote debugger.

Comment

Write a draft on how it should be done in your opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
            I disagree. It's not the first time the MPEG LA tries to scare people about patents. They pretty much said the same thing years ago about Theora and...nothing happened. VP8 should really be adopted as early and much as possible for it to gain momentum.
            Word!

(limit)

Comment

; )

Originally posted by yotambien
              I disagree. It's not the first time the MPEG LA tries to scare people about patents.
              I realised later that this is not correct. The business of the MPEG LA actually consists in scaring people about patents.

Let's try to avoid VP8 meeting the same fate of Vorbis with regards of mp3. We're definitely on time on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
                I realised later that this is not correct. The business of the MPEG LA actually consists in scaring people about patents.
                It's certainly possible they have some patent that VP8 infringes on, but I really would have expected such a patent to come out by now if it existed. It's in their best interest to discredit VP8 immediately before it becomes common and a threat to h.264. The longer it goes unchallenged, the more likely it is that it could actually succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  It's certainly possible they have some patent that VP8 infringes on, but I really would have expected such a patent to come out by now if it existed.
                  Note that they might have a single patent it infringes but as they said, they want a patent pool on it. The compensation you have to pay for infringing a dozen patents is somewhere on a completely different area than infringing one. They probably are or were searching for other people who had patents related to it to form the pool.
                  It might in fact do VP8 more harm to have a very flashy court session against Google accusing them of breaking tons of patents than just inform that hey, we have this single patent VP8 infringes but it will expire in a few years anyway so never mind.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                    Michael, could you please add a link to the youtube-videos below the embed? That way we could just copy the URL and paste them into youtube-dl or watch them via html5 on youtube (if available).
                    Just an FYI: after starting an embedded YouTube clip by clicking the play button, clicking on the video part of the clip itself takes you to its page on YouTube. I prefer to watch the clips on YouTube as well...

Comment

Working...
                    X