Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ATI Evergreen Mesa Code Has Now Landed

Phoronix: The ATI Evergreen Mesa Code Has Now Landed

Nearly two hours ago we shared the news that there's finally open-source 2D/3D/video acceleration for ATI's Radeon HD 5000 "Evergreen" family of graphics processors, which is currently the newest and best consumer-grade GPUs from AMD's GPG unit. At the time though only the xf86-video-ati DDX driver code was publicly pushed into a branch of the driver, but now the 3D portion of the code has publicly landed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Big thanks to everyone who made this happen!

Why not focussing solely on Gallium? Why classic Mesa? Is it just to hack at will to learn and then implement a clean Gallium driver afterwards?

Comment

Good work!

Time to get a HD5xxx card, then

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        Why not focussing solely on Gallium? Why classic Mesa? Is it just to hack at will to learn and then implement a clean Gallium driver afterwards?
        Supposedly programming models for r6xx/r7xx and Evergreen were fairly similar with the exception of register changes so Evergreen Gallium might at best be r600g driver with fairly simple changes in fairly many places in the driver. (or rather, a driver branched of r600g)

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          Big thanks to everyone who made this happen!

Simple - there was no working Gallium3D driver for 6xx/7xx when we started working on Evergreen, so implementing Evergreen support on top of the existing r600 classic code was the fastest way to get working code out there which could be picked up by distros.

The r600g code has made great progress in the last couple of months so as long as :

(a) EG gets working quickly on r600g and

(b) we are reasonably confident that r600g will be in a condition that distros will start using it "not much later than the time we could get the next generation HW running on classic mesa HW drivers"

...then I think we should just implement the next gen HW support on Gallium3D.

Point (a) seems to be under control - by the time I got home from work last night MostAwesomeDude was already looking into getting EG running on r600g (!!), and point (b) *seems* OK (ie there seems to be enough community effort going into r600g that it will become production-ready soon enough) so I *think* we're OK with going Gallium3D-only for the next generation.

Fingers crossed.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Point (a) seems to be under control - by the time I got home from work last night MostAwesomeDude was already looking into getting EG running on r600g (!!)
            Ookay, sounds design plan changed again? I'll make a mental note.

Comment

I think it's more like "plan emerged a little further from the mist" than "plan changed"
              Test signature

Comment

Not that I'm complaining. Putting Evergreen into r600g probably removes this problem discussed earlier which had to do with having to fix problems in two places because of having two nearly identical Gallium drivers.

Comment

A good buy my new ati card

Comment

Do we have sales stats, is there a spike starting today?

Comment

Working...
                    X