Progress On The ATI R600g Gallium3D Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HokTar View Post
    Does this mean that you personally expect that r600g will be default in mesa 7.10? I would be really surprised, although positively of course!
    He did not say that.

Comment

regarding r600g in 7.10, we'll have to see how things progress between now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        He did not say that.
        But I felt it was between the lines. That's why I asked it directly.

agd5f: So it's possible. I'm really happy to hear that!

Comment

One think I'd be interested to know is : do the devs find Gallium easier to make a driver than classic Mesa or not?
          Since you have now some experience in writing two drivers both in Gallium and in Classic Mesa for the same devices, do you find Gallium3D a real improvement, or basically just a different architecture?

Comment

So what about bugs/regressions should one file bug reports for r600g already? I just tried latest git master and now vdrift eats all my memory. It looks like:

Code:
            commit 66e4cb1cd5a55402606a09417349d2be8b009e89
            Author: Jerome Glisse <[email protected]>
            Date:   Mon Aug 30 17:56:59 2010 -0400

r600g: avoid dynamic allocation of states
            is leaking gem objects, or needing a lot of them (from 650 objects before commit to 126466 objects after commit)

Comment

Originally posted by rvdboom View Post
              One think I'd be interested to know is : do the devs find Gallium easier to make a driver than classic Mesa or not?
              Since you have now some experience in writing two drivers both in Gallium and in Classic Mesa for the same devices, do you find Gallium3D a real improvement, or basically just a different architecture?
              Oh gallium is worlds easier to develop a driver for, since you can ignore most of the evils of OpenGL interfaces as the state tracker hides them.

Where gallium gets messy is in the corner cases where nobody has defined stuff and you have to figure out what should be done in state tracker vs pipe driver vs winsys, but that stuff is mostly getting easier as more people develop drivers.

The other thing that helps now and makes writing drivers easier is piglit as once you have the basic driver structure you can use piglit to target things to do and also to stop regressions sneaking in as you go.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                So what about bugs/regressions should one file bug reports for r600g already? I just tried latest git master and now vdrift eats all my memory. It looks like:

Code:
                commit 66e4cb1cd5a55402606a09417349d2be8b009e89
                Author: Jerome Glisse <[email protected]>
                Date:   Mon Aug 30 17:56:59 2010 -0400

r600g: avoid dynamic allocation of states
                is leaking gem objects, or needing a lot of them (from 650 objects before commit to 126466 objects after commit)
                Generally just ping glisse on irc or mail mesa-dev, probably not worth filing buts at this point.

Dave.

Comment

Apart from the memory issue I also see a significant speed gain, in etracer from 7 fps to about 10.5 fps.

Comment

Brainparty is working nicely. Vega Strike and Supertuxkart are running, at low frame rate.

Oolite currently isn't working any more (bug 29996).

Comment

r600g seems to be closer to running the Amnesia demo than r600c.

The game displays an error with r600c before the main window comes up, but with r600g it opens up the game and shows the Frictional Games logo and then crashes.

Comment

Working...
                      X