No announcement yet.

Open-Source 2D, 3D For ATI Radeon HD 5000 Series GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW latest status is that the current problems appear to be understood and Alex has started working on a set of patches. Current thinking is that mesa, ddx and drm will all need to be touched although the changes are pretty small. Check back tomorrow and hopefully there will be patches available.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      BTW latest status is that the current problems appear to be understood and Alex has started working on a set of patches. Current thinking is that mesa, ddx and drm will all need to be touched although the changes are pretty small. Check back tomorrow and hopefully there will be patches available.
      Awesome, Bridgman ^^, (and others)

Comment

The GPU lockups appear to be fixed. Grab the latest mesa and ddx code from git and make sure you have this drm patch:

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          Awesome, Bridgman ^^, (and others)
          Hey, I just sit in the big chair and read what they put in front of me

Thanks go to to agd5f for digging through multiple layers of "the problem seems to be XYZ but that doesn't make sense" investigation to find the underlying problems, monraaf for pointing out the "run fglrx first" workaround (which gave agd5f a starting point), the other folks here who posted about their experiences with the code, and the internal AMD folks (HW and SW teams) who helped agd5f understand what else had changed in the hardware.
          Test signature

Comment

Awesome, Monraaf and Agd5f ^^, (and others)

Comment

w00t w00t! Great job!

Comment

Awesome, no more GPU lockups with that patch. Xv is also working again and it seems the low power profile is enough to render videos at 720p.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                  Awesome, no more GPU lockups with that patch. Xv is also working again and it seems the low power profile is enough to render videos at 720p.
                  Time to put my HD5770 back in or not? (and learn doing lego yeah-yeah-yeah )

Comment

Excellent stuff! I get no crashes now.

New summary:
                    In KDE, using openGL compositing with RenderAccel disabled, I get almost no corruption at all! Prefectly usable. Though, most of the icons in the taskbar and on the desktop are corrupted.

E17 still won't start up at all with its compositing module (either with or without RenderAccel).

Xv is very slow (but works). When displaying a video scaled up to full-screen, there are a lot of blocking-type artefacts that don't seem to be there when displaying at the native size (though I can't be sure) and motion is choppy. But it works, which is a huge step forward.

glxgears still introduces the horizontal lines (across the background/wallpaper, in my case) mentioned by others. In KDE, dragging windows around sees the frame-rate go pretty low (lower than when software does it) and, as ever, resizing a window takes *forever*. Probably cranks out a new frame every 6-7 seconds or so.

Some niggles, to be sure, but a huge improvement overall! Thanks to all the devs for their fantastic work.

Comment

New summary (compare to my last post):

2D:
                      • xv works again in latest git (-> bug)
                      • haven't seen any flaws in 2D operations since applying the patch from this bug. RenderAccel is on and works.

Will try to use the oss drivers to get some real work done, let's see how that turns out.

3D, mesa classic:
                      • neverball starts now, but some of the colours are slightly wrong. Geometry appears correct.
                      • glxgears still overwrites parts of the VRAM it shouldn't touch
                      • still got
                        Code:
                        radeon 0000:02:00.0: forbidden register 0x00009508 at 10
                        [drm:radeon_cs_ioctl] *ERROR* Invalid command stream !
                        same register as reported before, different app this time, more recent kernel (2.6.36-rc3). I'll try to figure out if I can consistently reproduce it and file a bug.
                      • haven't tried anything else after the crash

3D, gallium3d:
                      Code:
                      ~> glxinfo | grep render
                      direct rendering: Yes
                      OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on EVERGREEN
                      • glxgears runs without any kind of corruption, but after a while it stalls with this being spammed through my dmesg a few hundred times:
                        Code:
                        [drm:radeon_cs_ioctl] *ERROR* Failed to parse relocation -22!
                      • neverball: different problems than r600c: both colours and geometry are correct, but the menu text is invisible. It's seems slower than on r600c. Stalls after a few seconds with the above dmesg-spam.
                      • geartrain runs, but it appears that either the viewport isn't set correctly or some transformations failed; only parts of the scene are visible zoomed-in.
                      • ioquake3 starts, but glyphs in the menu are broken, textures appear to be missing. Didn't start a game though.

somewhere along the way my second monitor turned itself off, despite xrandr claiming it was running. Not sure what happened there, but it was fixed by xrandr --output DVI-1 --off; xrandr --output DVI-1 --auto --right-of DVI-0

I wish there was memory downclocking, because the card runs a bit louder than on fglrx.

Comment

Working...
                      X