The GNOME Developers Put Out The First SeedKit Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liam View Post
    Is it KDE or Qt? Also, what is the name of the tech?
    That was a bit tongue-in-cheek, i don't really know much about the Seedkit project. But it does sound like functionality present on the "other" desktop.

Qt provides a Webkit widget, as well as the ability to use js scripting which can access Qt libs. KDE extends that with javascript bindings to their libraries as well. Apps like Kate are using javascript plugins, and I think Amarok does as well. As a whole, it sounds kind of like that + webkit based plasmoid tech that KDE has. And of course Qt has been CSS themeable for a while.

Comment

Any more details?

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      That was a bit tongue-in-cheek, i don't really know much about the Seedkit project. But it does sound like functionality present on the "other" desktop.

Qt provides a Webkit widget, as well as the ability to use js scripting which can access Qt libs. KDE extends that with javascript bindings to their libraries as well. Apps like Kate are using javascript plugins, and I think Amarok does as well. As a whole, it sounds kind of like that + webkit based plasmoid tech that KDE has. And of course Qt has been CSS themeable for a while.
      I did a few quick searches but couldn't find anything. In fact, according to the official Qt site, Qt doesn't support js (http://qt.nokia.com/products/program...nguage-support).
      Again, a name, or link, would be great.

Thanks!

Best/Liam

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
        I did a few quick searches but couldn't find anything. In fact, according to the official Qt site, Qt doesn't support js (http://qt.nokia.com/products/program...nguage-support).
        Again, a name, or link, would be great.

Thanks!

Best/Liam
        They call it ECMAScript (the standard javascript implements) or Qt Script.

Here's a link to how it's used within Kate:

And i know i just read a blog about one of the new features in KDE4.5 plasma is that the entire desktop is scriptable now in javascript, so that distros or sysadmins can script that certain plasmoids (or taskbars, etc.) should be present, their location, etc.

Comment

And i know i just read a blog about one of the new features in KDE4.5 plasma is that the entire desktop is scriptable now in javascript, so that distros or sysadmins can script that certain plasmoids (or taskbars, etc.) should be present, their location, etc.
          Here's the plasma scripting i was talking about:

And KWin is getting scripting as well - someone created a game of pong using windows as the paddles for a proof of concept:

Comment

They call it ECMAScript (the standard javascript implements) or Qt Script.

Here's a link to how it's used within Kate:

Thanks alot! However, you have to admit they really buried that info, though
            Trolltech did some nice work there. I especially like the ability to mix QtScript and C++.
            There is some interesting convergence happening with KDE and Gnome, here. Since GIR got into place, there's been a rush to make use of it. Gnome Shell is doing something interesting here by writing the entire gui in js. I've been working with it, and it is so much faster/easier to read and make substantial changes to the code.
            It's only for the good that both desktops allow for this kind of development.

Best/Liam

Comment

Seed as a generic JavaScript framework around gobject libraries, for scripting and even standalone applications, has existed for well about 2 years now: http://live.gnome.org/Seed

SeedKit is something quite different and I haven't seen anything like it in Qt.

Comment

Working...
              X