Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GNOME Developers Put Out The First SeedKit Release

Phoronix: The GNOME Developers Put Out The First SeedKit Release

The GNOME developers have announced their first public release (v0.1) of SeedKit, consisting of both the GNOME SeedKit Viewer and the SeedKit library. GNOME's SeedKit is designed to blend web technologies (namely HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript) into the GNOME desktop by allowing native user-interfaces to be written in these web technologies. SeedKit leverages GTK+, WebKit, and Seed to lower the barrier to creating new user-interfaces for the GNOME desktop. SeedKit was inspired by Palm's WebOS SDK and Mozilla's JetPack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Forgive my ignorance...

But doesn't XUL (used in Firefox) do this already? Why didn't they just integrate XUL instead of making this new SeedKit thing?

Comment

It basically duplicates and somewhat extends HTML5.
      And I haven't used for serious any Flash/HTML5 app ever yet, hence I wonder if this is basically a waste of time and would it be better for the Gnome devs to focus instead on improving (improving as in "making it feel fast", not "translation updates and bug fixes") the Gnome desktop like making Nautilus (and gedit) be and feel fast (at least like Finder from Mac)?
      I'm not grumpy I really think so.

Comment

Originally posted by DDevine View Post
        But doesn't XUL (used in Firefox) do this already? Why didn't they just integrate XUL instead of making this new SeedKit thing?
        Sorta, yes.

Firefox is it's own 'widget'. It's not a GTK app or a QT app... it's a XUL application. There are a handful of others like Thunderbird and there is a IDE that is XUL also.

Firefox uses it's own HTML renderer to render the 'chrome' of the application... the buttons, the surrounds, the search bar etc etc. All that is rendered in a similar way that web applications are rendered and uses the same applications. Most everything, baring restrictions for security sake, that firefox does you can duplicate using web applications.

In this case it's doing the similar thing for GTK/Gnome that Firefox does for itself. The reason they are using Webkit is probably that it's just much easier to work with then Gecko is.

A few times in the past Gnome tried to integrate a html renderer... previously gecko and then gtkhtml. Gtkhtml was dreadful and Gecko integration left a lot to be desired... but webkit integration was done relatively quickly and well. So I guess they decided to run with it.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          It basically duplicates and somewhat extends HTML5.
          And I haven't used for serious any Flash/HTML5 app ever yet, hence I wonder if this is basically a waste of time and would it be better for the Gnome devs to focus instead on improving (improving as in "making it feel fast", not "translation updates and bug fixes") the Gnome desktop like making Nautilus (and gedit) be and feel fast (at least like Finder from Mac)?
          I'm not grumpy I really think so.
          Gnome has been focusing on improving performance the lightweight-ness of it's stuff for a long time. You can see it through the Gnome mobile initiative and Meego/Maemo (gtk versions) are a result of this. Also Gnome 3.0 is a result of this also. They removed a lot of old dependencies and whatnot.

The goal of this is to make it easy to program applications for Gnome and to make integration into web stuff easier.

Anything to make things easier and attract developers is time well spent.

Comment

Here's the obligatory

KDE already does it, post.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              KDE is very fast with new features. No one can deny that.

Comment

Hi there,

As the main and only maintainer/developer of SeedKit, I'd like to thank Phoronix for the visibility offered to the project with this article. I hope this will bring a flow of testers and contributors in

Let me just precise that SeedKit isn't currently a Gnome endorsed project, and shouldn't be presented as a "Gnome developers" effort. Hopefully, some of them will join the team soon.
                So no worry ,cl333r, about wasting of time and energy from their part

The approach is indeed similar to what the MoFo does with XUL, apart that HTML/CSS/JS is tenfold more known to devs and designers and that you do not have to mess with complication like XPCOM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandre Mazari View Post
                  Hi there,

Let me just precise that SeedKit isn't currently a Gnome endorsed project, and shouldn't be presented as a "Gnome developers" effort. Hopefully, some of them will join the team soon.
                  So no worry ,cl333r, about wasting of time and energy from their part
                  Could the title of the article be modified to reflect that by replacing "GNOME Developers" by "The SeedKit team" ? Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    Is it KDE or Qt? Also, what is the name of the tech?

Comment

Working...
                    X