Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Open-Source 0 A.D. Game Gets An Alpha Build

Phoronix: The Open-Source 0 A.D. Game Gets An Alpha Build

Back in July we reported on the 0 A.D. game going open-source, an OpenGL real-time strategy title that had been in development for nearly a decade but hadn't yet had a stable release so the decision was made to take the game open-source in hopes of spurring new development efforts. Well, just a little over a month after that announcement, the first alpha release of 0 A.D. is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have to say I'm pretty impressed. The game is far from feature complete, and really not much of a game at this stage of development, but it's very pretty looking and seems extremely promising. The Fedora package installed without a hiccup and I had fun just messing around with what's been implemented so far. A big thumbs up to the devs.

Comment

They should opensource duke nukem forever!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
        I would prefer a proper FLOSS release of the Build engine.

Comment

Does it run on any open drivers yet? (ie 0ad)

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
            Does it run on any open drivers yet? (ie 0ad)
            I tried it out a few months ago with i965 and it was working then, I'll try it again on i965 and r300g when I'm done downloading.

Comment

Seems to work fine on i965.

Some of the maps (like the one called Units) have a completely black environment, but I'm not sure if that's a driver problem or the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
                This was so random, it cracked me

Comment

The announcement to open source the game was made in July of last year, not this past July.

Comment

From the screenshots I first thought the game was the usual 3D isometric deal.
                    But the video floored me, very impressive work on the engine.

I'd say the interface should be the next prio on the "bling" list, it seems functional though a bit rough

That's anyway a game I'm going to follow closer than I first imagined.

Comment

Working...
                    X