Mesa git testing experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tormod View Post
    Just a hint: It is helpful to refer to the exact version you are using, since "today's" and "last week's" or similar is not so precise. In a PPA version like 7.9.0~git20100819+gallium+r300.076c5387-0ubuntu0tormod the "076c5387" designates uniquely the git version (or commit ID).

Especially for regressions it is good to provide the last working tested git commit ID and the first broken one. Developers love commit ids
    actually im not sure which one it was, thats why i posted date.

Comment

Speaking of functionality, I was somewhat impressed that r600g gave a pleasant (mostly) experience in openarena for me. This was with very high quality settings and resolution 1920x1280 and powersaving at maximum. Only really lagged once during a whole round. ^^

Comment

I wanted to try git bisect earlier but something didn't seem to be happening right.

After checking out the master branch of mesa I did:

git bisect start
        git bisect bad
        git bisect good 15a3b42e135a3a2cb463ec3cff80a55dd8528051
        This results in

Bisecting: 838 revisions left to test after this (roughly 10 steps)
        [522de3f5ecbfe3f84e92ac03d1438a44eb1beae7] Close memory leaks from generate_constructor_intro
        but commit id 522de3f5ecbfe3f84e92ac03d1438a44eb1beae7 != 15a3b42e135a3a2cb463ec3cff80a55dd8528051 ??? It bisects to a much earlier commit id. Is this how it's supposed to work?

Also I tried building it anyways using the usual ./configure --with-whatever-options that I use to build the r300g driver but it dies with
        configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-x, --disable-motif, --enable-xcb etc...
        What am I doing wrong? What I am trying to do is use git bisect to find the revision where HoN started rendering funny by compiling r300g for each bisected revision until the most recent good commit. Is this right?

Comment

Originally posted by rob2687 View Post
          I wanted to try git bisect earlier but something didn't seem to be happening right.

After checking out the master branch of mesa I did:

git bisect start
          git bisect bad
          This results in

git bisect start
          git bisect bad
          but commit id 522de3f5ecbfe3f84e92ac03d1438a44eb1beae7 != 15a3b42e135a3a2cb463ec3cff80a55dd8528051 ??? It bisects to a much earlier commit id. Is this how it's supposed to work?
          Yes, it's a bisection Given two known points (in this case the ones that you marked good and bad) it picks a commit near the middle of the history between the two points. Once you've tested the proposed commit you can exclude one of the halves of the history and redo the bisection on the other half.

configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-x, --disable-motif, --enable-xcb etc...
          Hum, try and regenerate the configure script...

Comment

motif is disabled by default so --disable-motif doesn't exist

Comment

It goes to a commit much earlier than the id for the commit marked as good though.

Entered this one (2010-08-17)

but it goes to this one (2010-06-24)

That doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

About the ./configure thing it rejects every option I pass it aside from --prefix=.

These are the same options I use to regularly compile the most recent master/head or whatever.

Comment

It goes to a commit much earlier than the id for the commit marked as good though.
                Did you tell git which commit is bad?

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
                  Did you tell git which commit is bad?
                  Just using "git bisect bad" should mark the current version as bad.

Comment

I _think_ this is because the commit in question was developed on the glsl2 branch, and only recently merged to master. But I'm far from an expert on git...

Comment

Well bisecting from anything after the glsl2 branch was merged works fine. Taking a commit from before it does the above.

Comment

Working...
                      X