Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa git testing experiences

Good evening.
    I just figured out that there isnt any mesa-testing thread over here, so i am making one. Im using packages from Xorg-edgers repository and am going to post my experiences with it. I hope someone else will post experiences as well and maybe some mesa-dev can do something about bugs/regressions that we gonna notice.

Heroes of Newerth
    Line of sight works (not everytime i guess) and there are some strange lightning artifacts on floor.
    Since todays update models arent drawn properly. Game seems a bit faster, but models are drawn as 2D objects. Effects are working well, but models in effects are drawn bad as well.

This is my experiences on Mobility HD2600.

Kwin
    Some basic effects works, but effect is freezing whole enviroment till its drawing is finished.

0AD
    There are some artifacts in menu and on loading screen. Models are rendered properly.

Lightsmark
    Lights arent working properly. Textures are screwed with crazy colors. Models are rendered okay.

There's already a proper place for this kind of stuff: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/

Comment

I dont think its a good idea to fill bug reports between every revision. Its good for major versions, but not for reporting bugs for every revision. Mesa bugtracker is pretty technical as well, i dont think they will think that "Heroes of Newerth models are drawn as 2D" is pretty usefull bug-report. Im just trying to show my experiences with free radeon driver and mesa stack in git versions and share them with other testers. It can also motivate some more testers to try OSS radeon driver as well.

Comment

It is useful, and the sooner bugs are found, the sooner they can be fixed. Bisecting between two major versions is also (slightly) more work.

"Heroes of Newerth models are drawn as 2D" could be a good bug report. If it did work before and you bisected the problem down to a specific commit, or if it works in another driver (or in softpipe) but not in the one you are using, or as a general starting point for others to track progress since bugs.fd.org is where you go to find bug reports, not on a random message board.

By all means, discuss things here, but do file bugs, and don't expect mentioning a bug here counts as having reported it.

Comment

Okay, thanks for tips. Ill post a bugreport as soon as it wont be fixed after next mesa update. Is there any way to watch history of updates in debian systems (to track revision ive been using)?

Comment

Originally posted by Schmaker View Post
            Okay, thanks for tips. Ill post a bugreport as soon as it wont be fixed after next mesa update. Is there any way to watch history of updates in debian systems (to track revision ive been using)?
            /var/log/dpkg.log

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
              /var/log/dpkg.log
              Thank you.

Comment

By the way, there's also http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonProgram

It's in need of updating though, at least on the r300g side of things most of the games listed could probably be upgraded to gold status.

Comment

New update

After todays update nothing has changed.

Heroes of Newerth
                  Textures are still 2D. (bug reported - 29689)

Lightsmark
                  No textures at all (29691), lights works as on disquotheke (29692).

Comment

Just a hint: It is helpful to refer to the exact version you are using, since "today's" and "last week's" or similar is not so precise. In a PPA version like 7.9.0~git20100819+gallium+r300.076c5387-0ubuntu0tormod the "076c5387" designates uniquely the git version (or commit ID).

Especially for regressions it is good to provide the last working tested git commit ID and the first broken one. Developers love commit ids

Comment

Working...
                    X