No announcement yet.

Socket C32 motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I installed my Tyan S8225 boards this week. The biggest problem I encountered was the sh**y e1000e ethernet driver in Fedora 14.

Comment

Noctua sells a couple coolers for Socket C32.

Comment

Originally posted by Melchior View Post
        I can't believe there are only a handful of ATX C32 boards.
        Intel more or less owns this space with LGA1366, and LGA2011 will be a similar story if AMD cannot offer a compelling alternative. AMD has been unresponsive in this space.

Virtually none with multiple PCIe x16 slots (and the few that do only have 8x lanes connected). What's with the refusal to use a more powerful SR5690 chip instead of the lame SR5670...!??
        There are few reasons for them to have x16 slots with full lanes... GPU computing is largely done on Intel. Look at the Tyan S7015 for an example of this (8 bridged, spaced x16 slots with x16 lanes each).

Also, Does Acer actually make Opteron C32 boards ?
        You're probably going to be stuck with SuperMicro...

Finally there are inexpensive Server-class CPUs but no decent boards to use them in... Irony, thy name is AMD.
        This isn't a first for AMD. You see the Intel 5500/5520s on all sorts of form factor boards but the AMD server equivalents aren't there. Intel has more focus in this area. The Irony is that Intel is probably the cheaper server solution for what you're looking for.

I love my dual socket 1366 system, but I'd slap down money any day on AMD if they could deliver a quad/8 socket platform with reasonable amounts of PCI Express and 4/6/8 core CPUs at $200-$300 a pop.

Comment

Tyan now a single socket C32 motherboard, the S8010.

Comment

Bulldozer, or bust!

The Tyan S8010 looks quite interesting, anyone know a ETA / or MSRP?
            (I note, there is no sound, 1394 or other useless? things...)

Aside,
            I wonder if two NB/SB could run from one CPU socket (since there are 3 HT links...)?

Comment

Forgot to updated this thread with some new models:

The Supermicro H8DCL series:

The premier provider of advanced Server Building Block Solutions® for 5G/Edge, Data Center, Cloud, Enterprise, Big Data, HPC and Embedded markets worldwide.

Super Micro Computer, Inc. launched H8DCL-6 motherboard, Dual AMD Opteron 4000 series processor (Socket C32) based platform; 8/6/4 Core ready.

Looks like it would make a nice workstation.

Too bad the Bulldozers are moving VERY slowly...

Comment

my 4kb

I like MSI and Supermicro. TYAN used to be my favorite, but after several years and several problematic boards, I can no longer recommend them. They aren't as stable as Supermicro or MSI. Also, Gigabyte's BIOS update can be difficult. It seems that you must use Windows to run their utility.

Comment

New boards again

Surprise (to me at least): GIGABYTE has (a) new AMD board(s).

GA-2DASL

Support single AMD Opteron 4000 Series processorsOne Intel 82574L GbE controller4 DIMMs of unbuffered ECC DDR3 memory, up to 32GbRich expansion platform, wi...

Information on it is pretty thin...

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    i'm the only one how think thats the g34 socket is much better than the c32 socket ?
                    Not better - just different.
                    If socket G34 implements quad channel memory with some new future chip then its a great improvement.

Otherwise its pretty much the same - different mechanical layout, same silicon.

Comment

Hmmmm

someone looking for a dual C32?

Oh yeah, that's my rig. I use it for video encoding so those are unbuffered, non ECC sticks in there.

Yes, pseudo ATX so you won't have problems finding a case for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X