Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT 256MB

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT 256MB

The GeForce 8500GT is NVIDIA's value-priced contender in the GeForce 8 series. The 8500GT has a 450MHz core clock and 400MHz memory clock, but how is this $100 creation able to compete against other graphics cards from ATI and NVIDIA? We have our hands on the passively-cooled Gigabyte GeForce 8500GT 256MB graphics card and have run our usual Linux graphics tests along with some of our first overclocking attempts with this new solution. Without further ado, we present the world's first Linux benchmarks of the NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I recently built a new computer using the Gigabyte board you reviewed, the 8500GT, but I can't get the nvidia drivers mentioned, or the newer ones just released, to work without crashing when X starts.

I'll admit I'm still fresh-at-the-gills using Linux, but I'm simply not sure what I'm doing wrong. Can you give some brief instructions as to how you set up the nvidia drivers for this review? Either that or help me troubleshoot my setup?

Thanks

Comment

What distribution are you using? These are beta drivers so you may be running into other bugs but it should be simple to get going.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        What distribution are you using? These are beta drivers so you may be running into other bugs but it should be simple to get going.

I'm using Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04, and I've tried the NVIDIA 100.14.03 and 100.14.06 drivers, both to no avail.

Comment

Originally posted by drsomewhat View Post
          I'm using Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04, and I've tried the NVIDIA 100.14.03 and 100.14.06 drivers, both to no avail.
          Is there anything (as in errors or warnings) in your /var/log/Xorg.0.log ?
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I gave it another shot with the latest beta drivers, and it worked! Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X