Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK+2, GTK+3 Plays More With Cairo For Drawing

Phoronix: GTK+2, GTK+3 Plays More With Cairo For Drawing

With GNOME 3.0 not being released now until March of 2011, GNOME 2.32 is being released next month and will continue to focus on dependable and trusted GNOME 2.x technologies, such as the GTK+2 library rather than GTK+3 that's been in development for quite a number of months and is already supported by most GNOME modules...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's nice to see how much love and effort you put when talking about GTK... you never do so about Qt. Why?

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
      It's nice to see how much love and effort you put when talking about GTK... you never do so about Qt. Why?
      Qt already has a company to make its promotion... Nokia is already pushing the adoption of Qt through videos and different other things.
      We are better informed of the Qt ongoing through Nokia than we are for Gnome, so this kind of post is interesting (at least for me).

Comment

Originally posted by spykes View Post
        Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
        Qt already has a company to make its promotion... Nokia is already pushing the adoption of Qt through videos and different other things.
        We are better informed of the Qt ongoing through Nokia than we are for Gnome, so this kind of post is interesting (at least for me).
        Politics.

Seems like the Cairo devs are pretty ignorant of Qt, while Qt looks native on GTK. Not only that, but Gnome devs decided to completely ignore OpenVG, which is a Khronos standard.

How fscking sad... I'd love to see how the latest KDE stacks up against Gnome 3 when that comes around.

Comment

Although I keep up with general Gnome development via its Planet (hence, I've been aware of this particular change in gtk for awhile now), I don't know of another place to find development info about Gnome.
          Qt, meanwhile, is pretty much completely developed by Nokia and they are responsible for making new things known, and the main KDE site does a nice job of this, IMHO.
          OTOH, there is no comparable Gnome site. There is, of course, a main Gnome site but that is, frankly, not as informative. Gnome Journal comes out pretty infrequently, and only covers a very few things. So, unless you want to keep close eyes on the commits, follow all the mailing lists and dev blogs, you just can't stay up to date in that same way that you can with KDE.
          Gnomers really seem like cats, IMHO.

Oh, V!NCENT? You should be familiar with <a href="http://zrusin.blogspot.com/2008/02/openvg-and-accelerating-2d.html">this</a>. Although, I've heard little from the Cairo guys about OpenVG, I can also say that I don't follow Cairo particularly closely...

Best/Liam

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            Politics.
            Seems like the Cairo devs are pretty ignorant of Qt, while Qt looks native on GTK.
            You mean GTK+-devs? As you surely know there is a theme for gtk+ with does it's drawing using Qt. And also the dialogs can be exchanged to use Qt dialogs (using some preload trick).

Comment

Qt can look native.

Politics.

Seems like the Cairo devs are pretty ignorant of Qt, while Qt looks native on GTK. Not only that, but Gnome devs decided to completely ignore OpenVG, which is a Khronos standard.

How fscking sad... I'd love to see how the latest KDE stacks up against Gnome 3 when that comes around.
              ...but it doesn't. I just opened up Kate and it does look better than a gtk app in KDE, it doesn't look native. It uses a different font, for one, and the widget sizes are completely different, along with the color, of course. I'm really not sure who's to blame. Moreover, KWin fails badly on a Gnome desktop, while Mutter worked beautifully in KDE (less tearing than KWin in KDE).
              BTW, why use OpenVG instead of OpenGL? Isn't part of the problem the mapping of cairo drawing abilities to OpenVG? So, if it is non-trivial to fix it, it seems smarter to just accelerate it with OGL, which you know will have better support in drivers, anyway.

Best/Liam

Comment

Politics.

It's more Qt dev who don't want to use Cairo in this case. Fair enough.
                Corrected me if I'm wrong, but OpenVG wasn't yet published when Cairo was first created, and it doesn't address exactly the same goals (Cairo has a bunch of higher level features)... Despite of that, it's not ignored at all, because Cairo has an openVG backend.
                Thus, you can use Cairo's advanced features (like text and font rendering) with OpenVG acceleration (OpenVG alone doesn't handle font rendering).

Comment

Originally posted by leidola View Post
                  You mean GTK+-devs?
                  Sorry. Yes.

Originally posted by spykes View Post
                  It's more Qt dev who don't want to use Cairo in this case. Fair enough.
                  Corrected me if I'm wrong, but OpenVG wasn't yet published when Cairo was first created, and it doesn't address exactly the same goals (Cairo has a bunch of higher level features)... Despite of that, it's not ignored at all, because Cairo has an openVG backend.
                  Thus, you can use Cairo's advanced features (like text and font rendering) with OpenVG acceleration (OpenVG alone doesn't handle font rendering).
                  My bad, again.

Comment

Working...
                  X