No announcement yet.

Linux 2.6.36-rc1 Kernel Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fedora is messing with testing of 34 kernel on 13 right now and is using 35 on 14. But they could switch to 36 at end of beta or do like 13 and test it out mid release and include it as final updates to eol. Which is pretty slick. I intalled a defunk one and it connected and updated everything to right at end of support. I was shocked.

Comment

Is there any good reason for linux to continue the 2.6.xxx versioning scheme nowdays? The major version numbers seem to have little meaning anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Is there any good reason for linux to continue the 2.6.xxx versioning scheme nowdays? The major version numbers seem to have little meaning anymore.
        They really don't have any meaning:
        Originally posted by Linus
        ... I think the time-based releases (ie the "2 weeks of merge window
        until -rc1, followed by roughly two months of stabilization") has been so
        successful that I'd prefer to skip the version numbering model too. We
        don't do releases based on "features" any more, so why should we do
        version _numbering_ based on "features"?

For example, I don't see any individual feature that would merit a jump
        from 2.x to 3.x or even from 2.6.x to 2.8.x. So maybe those version jumps
        should be done by a time-based model too - matching how we actually do
        releases anyway.

So if the version were to be date-based, instead of releasing 2.6.26,
        maybe we could have 2008.7 instead. Or just increment the major version
        every decade, the middle version every year, and the minor version every
        time we make a release. Whatever.
        Thirty years ago, Linus Torvalds was a 21 year old student at the University of Helsinki when he first released the Linux Kernel. His announcement started, “I’m doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional…)”. Three decades later, the top 500 supercomputers are all running Linux, as are over 70% of all smartphones. Linux is clearly both big and professional.

Comment

Working...
        X