Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaming Benchmarks: Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu Linux

Quote Originally Posted by liam View Post
    High-end OpenGL performance is the one graphics area I expected Linux to actually beat Windows. I saw the results and assumed that the card was a consumer level GeForce-equiv, but it wasn't. Now, I would assume that since these were gaming benchmarks and not CAD, that that would be the reason for the Linux loss.
    Now, it is my understanding that Windows no longer has to convert all OpenGL instructions to Direct3D, thus they can get similar performance, but to beat Linux by this much... again, I am guessing this is b/c these tests aren't making extensive use of double precision.
    Does anyone know something concrete?

Best/Liam
    Windows aren't faster than Linux in OGL games, simply the combination Ubuntu/Nvidia is problematic for some reason.
    See for example here http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...buntu910&num=2
    I have repeated this again and again but Michael doesn't want to throw a second distro in the benches. With a second distro in play, for every result we will know whether is Linux's or distro's fault.

This is probably why Windows will become a major gaming platform. It will be interesting to see how things will develop with the success of the XBox. If MS Office 2010 does not prove popular or replace their older versions, it might mean the decline of Windows and its office apps in the workplace and in education.

Personally, I do not care for gaming and therefore gaming benchmarks have little importance for me. 90% or more of computing for me and and I believe for everyday users is web-based. This trend should continue. MS is trying hard to make this happen with Windows but Windows comes from the pre-Web period and is designed as such.

Thumbs down

The problem is, there is no frigging real games on Linux.

Can we pls compare:

Age of Empires III
    Assassin's Creed
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    Battlefield 2142 / Bad Company 2
    Burnout Paradise
    Call of Duty - World at War
    Company of Heroes
    Crysis / WARHEAD
    Counter Strike Source
    DiRT 1 / 2
    Fallout 3
    Far Cry 2
    FEAR / Perseus Mandate
    GRID
    GTA SA / 4
    HL2 EP2
    Left 4 Dead 1 / 2
    Mass Effect 2
    Modern Warfare 2
    Need for Speed 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13
    Portal
    Red Alert 3 / Uprising
    Sniper Ghost Warrior
    StarCraft II
    Street Fighter 4
    Team Fortress 2
    The Saboteur
    Unreal Tournament 3 (sigh...)
    X-Men Origins - Wolverine

Please compare how those run in Windows 7 against Linux ?
    Not to mention that is only PART of my regularly played games

Funkyrider has the points, eventually the comparisation of those could be done with wine, still the results would come as works and is playable, not that great on many cases.

Actually the setup part did not say did they put off the composite window effects down on Linux while game running, it should make small change on that of performance too, while Windows eventually does that itself when running an application of d3d or familiar.

Also on some cases the filesystems could provide small adjustment on that of frame rates too if the engine is loading small distant objects while game going on, an theory only that should be as it.

The sooner everyone accepts that Linux still lacks graphics improvements the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    Windows aren't faster than Linux in OGL games, simply the combination Ubuntu/Nvidia is problematic for some reason.
    See for example here http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...buntu910&num=2
    I have repeated this again and again but Michael doesn't want to throw a second distro in the benches. With a second distro in play, for every result we will know whether is Linux's or distro's fault.
    This is true. It will be great to see results on some different distro too. Fedora etc.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyRider View Post
    The problem is, there is no frigging real games on Linux.
    Almost all classics that deserve to be played are either ported, are runnable in DosBox or with Wine.

Age of Empires III - crap compared to Age of Empires 2
    Assassin's Creed - crap
    Batman Arkham Asylum - crap
    Battlefield 2142 / Bad Company 2 - crap
    Burnout Paradise - acceptable, altough I can beat the game with my toes that control the joysticks when I put it on the ground.
    Call of Duty - World at War - crap
    Company of Heroes - awesome
    Crysis / WARHEAD - acceptable, Warhead, that is...
    Counter Strike Source - the awesome people left after cs 1.5
    DiRT 1 / 2 - 1 is pretty good, 2 sucks
    Fallout 3 - awesome
    Far Cry 2 - crap
    FEAR / Perseus Mandate - F.E.A.R. is pretty good and totally playable under Wine
    GRID - pretty good
    GTA SA / 4 - SA sucked, 4 is great
    HL2 EP2 - Playable under Wine
    Left 4 Dead 1 / 2 - Playable under Wine
    Mass Effect 2 - crap
    Modern Warfare 2 - crap
    Need for Speed 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13 - awesome untill they released Underground and everything after that sucked
    Portal - awesome and playable under Wine
    Red Alert 3 / Uprising - nice Red Alert 2 graphics update
    Sniper Ghost Warrior - crap
    StarCraft II - awesome
    Street Fighter 4 - everyone knows Street Fighter 2 beats the shit out of the rest
    Team Fortress 2 - acceptable, works with Wine
    The Saboteur - never even heared of
    Unreal Tournament 3 (sigh...) - acceptable
    X-Men Origins - Wolverine - oh puhlease
    May I suggest some kickass games for your Linux gaming plessures? Let's start with the classics. You know... actual games and not interactive B-movie experiences;
    ---------
    Title: Doom
    What you need: a copy of Doom + DoomGL

And if you do not like how it looks than you're simply not a gamer. Go grab the Lord of the Rings blu-ray instead.

Title: Duke Nukem 3D
    What you need: copy of Duke Nukem 3D + eduke32 with polymer renderer + high res pack

Experience why people are waiting forever.

Title: Prey
    What you need: copy of Prey + the Linux binary

Best FPS is years. Portals, multiple gravity sources and God forbid: puzzles. You will actually have to solve them.

Title: Serious Sam: First Encounter, Second Encounter and II
    What you need: copy of these three games + Linux binaries

No story, shitload of enemies, large environment, rediculous firepower, speed and jokes. It fscking rules

I'm sure I forgot ten thousand other interesting games, but in the light of these; everything else just sucks anyway...

"The stock Ubuntu Lucid packages besides NVIDIA's proprietary driver remained with their default versions and configuration."

So Michael ran all the tests with Compiz enabled while Windows didn't have compositing on? Insane. Or does Ubuntu unplug Compiz upon running a 3D application? I don't think Compiz has that kind of a feature built-in.

Quote Originally Posted by curfew View Post
    "The stock Ubuntu Lucid packages besides NVIDIA's proprietary driver remained with their default versions and configuration."

So Michael ran all the tests with Compiz enabled while Windows didn't have compositing on? Insane. Or does Ubuntu unplug Compiz upon running a 3D application? I don't think Compiz has that kind of a feature built-in.
    If the defaults for each OS aren't the same, sounds like you could contribute to making Ubuntu sane then, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by curfew View Post
    So Michael ran all the tests with Compiz enabled while Windows didn't have compositing on? Insane.
    This is the whole point. There should be some note Ubuntu has compiz enabled. While it has compiz enabled I don't understand the Phoronix conclusion:

With Lightsmark and Nexuiz when more taxing on the graphics card the NVIDIA graphics driver under Windows moved forward, but with the most demanding Unigine tests the performance was about the same. Of course, these results are just representative with regard to NVIDIA's proprietary driver on both platforms,
    Nvidia drivers moved forward under Windows, because... Ubuntu has compiz enabled?