Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Gaming Benchmarks: Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu Linux

The test results above were also from Nexuiz IIRC, which may be better optimized for Linux than for Windows. Just a guess tho...

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    The test results above were also from Nexuiz IIRC, which may be better optimized for Linux than for Windows. Just a guess tho...
    NexuiZ is Quake III with some added eye candy and enhancements. They don't have resources to re-work the source just to replace the original "Windows optimizations" with new "Linux-optimized code".

I was intending to run another series of benchmarks with Unreal Tournament 2004 but am yet to find time for that.

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    The entire selling point of AmaroK is that it is such a capable music 'jukebox'.

What you're probably aiming at is the 'visual noice' of all the button and icons, etc. There is a presentation of the KDE Academy 2010 on YouTube about the user interface design inconsistancies in KDE 4.4 and more specificaly the lack of UI patterns acros the SC spectrum of applications. Those should have been adressed at least partialy in SC 4.5.

So don't worry; it has acknowledged and it is being worked on
    I don't think they've akcnowledged anything. They introduced a new - "better" - dialog for desktop settings in KDE 4.4. The old one was, I think, legacy from KDE 3 and very poor in usability.

Pictures: Old & new

The new one is as much crap as the old one. The size of the window is hard-coded so it doesn't remember its size after it's closed. Nor can it be forced to be of different size from KWin settings. The preview pane is still on the right side of the window wasting lots of space. Also notice the poor layout of the widgets, absolutely horrible.

That is the development they manage to do and - it - just - makes - me - cry.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Considering that it's the Q3:A engine we're talking about, it's more likely that the Windows7 driver stack has more overhead in the OpenGL side of things than Linux has in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    Don't modern Windows systems come with Aero enabled as well? (and yes, you can disable compositing from Gnome unless Ubuntu removed that functionality)
    Win 7 frequently turns off compositing when 3D games are started.

I did some benchmarking on my own with Unigine Sanctuary. With Compiz enabled Ubuntu (64 bit) was slightly slower (few percent) than Win7 (64 bit with Aero). With Compiz disabled, Ubuntu was in turn somewhat faster than Win7 without Aero. Driver versions were the same, and it was a relatively dated NVidia 9600GT.

Gregor

Thumbs up Thanks

Itís great to see someone like Phoronix doing benchmarking tests on operating systems. This gives everyone objective and trustworthy standards when choosing an operating system. Thank you for providing this service. Best, Andrea Hofer Windows 7 Professional Outreach Team @Win7ProSB

The return of the trolls... brrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by w7pro View Post
    Itís great to see someone like Phoronix doing benchmarking tests on operating systems. This gives everyone objective and trustworthy standards when choosing an operating system. Thank you for providing this service. Best, Andrea Hofer Windows 7 Professional Outreach Team @Win7ProSB
    Gaming performance means relatively little at this stage.
    Linux doesn't receive the type of compatibility from nvidia/ati that Windows receives.
    Even with shoddy drivers, the margins are small - especially for the limited range of games that Linux and Windows share.
    These benchmarks show the Linux community where Linux stands.
    I'm positive that the mainstream consumer is not referring to phoronix when contemplating operating systems.
    Most consumers don't even know of Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by snuwoods View Post
    I'm positive that the mainstream consumer is not referring to phoronix when contemplating operating systems.
    Indeed. Most of them don't know the site exists right at the moment.

Most consumers don't even know of Linux.
    I'd be careful making that statement- you'd be surprised how many DO know about it, but think that it's "too complicated" for them. Combine that with all the Smartphones that are selling of late and you've got an interesting situation. (There's been something a hiring rush for consultants doing Android, MeeGo, etc. of late... Set-top boxes, smartphones, tablets, etc...)