No announcement yet.

XreaL Is Switching To The Enemy Territory Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice video indeed. Now what we lack is easy to use content creation tools, and having that run looking like that with more drivers (just guessing it won't run or look as nice on non-nvidia).

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
      What is the best way to create an "Enemy Territory mod"?
      Not doing it at all, but rather joining one of the many existing ones

Otherwise:
      For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        Very nice video indeed. Now what we lack is easy to use content creation tools, and having that run looking like that with more drivers (just guessing it won't run or look as nice on non-nvidia).
        What's wrong with Blender 2.5 and GTK Radiant? It's not going to get much more easier than that... after all game creation is not that easy.

You are right about the NVidia thing though... I have heard that XReal runs pretty badly on Ati cards... I guess it's their crappy OpenGL implementation again.

Comment

aww crap !

that video looks nice

what card and processor was that rendered on ?

I want a game around this NOW !

Comment

Originally posted by Julius View Post
            Not doing it at all, but rather joining one of the many existing ones
            No, really the question was a good one, I would like to know too, which open mod is being developed.
            I already searched through the internet and couldn't find any active projects.
            http://code43.net
            and
            http://openterror.com/
            don't seem very active recently,
            rouge reborn
            doesn't seem to be active anymore or the developers are just on vacation...
            and It isn't easily compiled on anything but Ubuntu 10.04 .

So where are the mods that are really being openly developed?
            true combat: close quarters battle doesn't really count, because it's a one-man projekt, which isn't developed openly.

You seem to know something we don't so please don't leave us in the dark .

Comment

I'm a bit out of the loop in regards to ET modding too... but this is a rather interesting project that recently popped up:

An I guess they will follow Xreal to the ET engine (even though they were thinking about using another engine, like for example the Quake2 based Overdose (http://www.team-blur-games.com/overdose/ also looking for help) before the source release of ET was announced).

Otherwise if you are into Open-source game development in general check out our nice blog:
              freegamer.blogspot.com
              (we had the Xreal news first btw... I am suspecting that Phoronix copied it from us )

Comment

What's wrong with Blender 2.5 and GTK Radiant? It's not going to get much more easier than that... after all game creation is not that easy.

You are right about the NVidia thing though... I have heard that XReal runs pretty badly on Ati cards... I guess it's their crappy OpenGL implementation again.
                NetRadiant is OK, a bit unlogical maybe. Blender's usability is straight from hell IMO, and see if you can find working converters for every format you want, that don't require manual tuning before- or after-conversion.

Comment

NetRadiant is OK, a bit unlogical maybe. Blender's usability is straight from hell IMO, and see if you can find working converters for every format you want, that don't require manual tuning before- or after-conversion.
                  Netradiant is only unlogical if you come from an Unreal editor background

Concerning Blender... have you tried the new 2.5 beta? It is really a completely different story to previous releases. Of course it is a highly complex program... just like you can not expect to learn Maya very quickly either.

The exporters (I have tried) are pretty good too for blender, but currently there are still some missing for the new 2.5 beta, but that will change soon I think.

Comment

Netradiant is only unlogical if you come from an Unreal editor background
                    I don't...

Concerning Blender... have you tried the new 2.5 beta? It is really a completely different story to previous releases. Of course it is a highly complex program... just like you can not expect to learn Maya very quickly either.
                    No, haven't tried 2.5. Maybe will later if I need to.

The exporters (I have tried) are pretty good too for blender, but currently there are still some missing for the new 2.5 beta, but that will change soon I think.
                    Last I checked even the md3 exporter had issues, and that's a very old format. I believe there is no exporter at all for the skeletal formats of the recent ET release.

Comment

Last I checked even the md3 exporter had issues, and that's a very old format. I believe there is no exporter at all for the skeletal formats of the recent ET release.
                      The MD3 exporter was updated by the openarena team and works fine now. Mds/MDM was always a problematic format, since there is no documentation for it AFAIK. The improved ET will probably go for the new IQM format, which has really good exporters for Blender, and can be converted from smd and md5.

Comment

Working...
                      X