Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XreaL Is Switching To The Enemy Territory Engine

Phoronix: XreaL Is Switching To The Enemy Territory Engine

As was reported earlier this week, id Software has open-sourced Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and Return To Castle Wolfenstein. Opening up these older games under the GNU GPL was done as part of id's long-standing tradition of putting out the code into the public domain once it makes sense for them a few years after their succeeding engine updates have fully replaced them in the marketplace. The developers behind ioquake3, the project that's based around the Quake 3 engine that was previously opened up by id Software, is already working on iowolfet and iortcw forks to incorporate this new code, but other free software developers are already utilizing this code too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"The grass and the trees are animated using the GPU. The scene renders at 60 fps on a Geforce 8800 and each frame contains up to 1 000 000 polygons." Amazing. o.O

Comment

Someone over there commented "looks like Crysis". Indeed.

Comment

well i guess foss games might get more love after seeing such video!

Comment

I was rather impressed with that video.

Comment

One critique though: the shadows were very hard :/

Comment

The title for the article is very misleading; it suggests that XreaL is using Enemy Territory code for its own base, which isn't true - the title should read "XreaL renderer being ported to Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory GPL source." or something along those lines.

Comment

Originally posted by crispy View Post
                One critique though: the shadows were very hard :/
                Huh?!

I was thinking, at last! I recall the first screenshots for Crysis from a few years ago, where the shadows were dark grey(!), not black. WTF...

If you stand in the sunshine it is very hard to detect what is in the shadows, so, I think it more correct with black, hard shadows.

Oh, I see. You mean the margins of the shadows. Hmmm, that is Carmack specialty, not releasing them yet. They will come in id Tech5.

Comment

Sadly at the same time the Xreal game was also cancelled, so someone has to step up and start a project to use the engine for an actual game, create the artwork, design the levels, work out the balancing.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Phoronix: XreaL Is Switching To The Enemy Territory Engine

As was reported earlier this week, id Software has open-sourced Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and Return To Castle Wolfenstein. Opening up these older games under the GNU GPL was done as part of id's long-standing tradition of putting out the code into the public domain once it makes sense for them a few years after their succeeding engine updates have fully replaced them in the marketplace. The developers behind ioquake3, the project that's based around the Quake 3 engine that was previously opened up by id Software, is already working on iowolfet and iortcw forks to incorporate this new code, but other free software developers are already utilizing this code too...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODUwOA
                    What is the best way to create an "Enemy Territory mod"?

Comment

Working...
                    X