Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[extremely offtopic] The coolest, most memorable video you will ever see in your life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Well that's interesting because you could walk in a bunch of directions and come back at the same place, while still being able to fall down from the edge of earth

so all those ships that miraculously disappeared were not hit by freak waves but really fell off?

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
      so all those ships that miraculously disappeared were not hit by freak waves but really fell off?
      How else would you explain these pictures?

Ha! And you thought it was fake

Comment

How else would you explain these pictures?

[...]

Ha! And you thought it was fake
        Ha! You haven't read Erik Verlinde's (http://staff.science.uva.nl/~erikv/ ) article from earlier this year which explains all these pictures.

His recent and brilliant paper "On the Origin of Gravity and the Laws of Newton" (http://arxiv.org/pdf/1001.0785) is horrific in scope, and utterly original, yet building on predecessor's work!

Google him as well to see positive and negative reactions. It is fascinating! And (of course, given the topic) heavy reading!

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
          Ha! You haven't read Erik Verlinde's (http://staff.science.uva.nl/~erikv/ ) article from earlier this year which explains all these pictures.
          I first read about that in the science pages of the Dutch newspape 'de Volkskrant'

I don't realy understand how his theory of information/data density and grouping has anything to do with these pictues. If anything, that theorie should prove the earth actualy is a 'ball' :/

Comment

I first read about that in the science pages of the Dutch newspape 'de Volkskrant'

I don't realy understand how his theory of information/data density and grouping has anything to do with these pictues. If anything, that theorie should prove the earth actualy is a 'ball' :/
            Hmm... So, why did you just provide illustrations for a hyperboloid Earth?!

Unfortunately, falling water, like in those pictures, has everything to do with gravity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floods_in_the_Netherlands).

Still, Verlinde's theory is just so cool. Gravity is not an effect, just a side effect, much like inertia, IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
              Hmm... So, why did you just provide illustrations for a hyperboloid Earth?!

Unfortunately, falling water, like in those pictures, has everything to do with gravity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floods_in_the_Netherlands).

Still, Verlinde's theory is just so cool. Gravity is not an effect, just a side effect, much like inertia, IIRC.
              I was joking. But yes is very cool and very plausable. I was halfway through that paper when I left home but I understand it already. Makes me think differently when I'm walking =o It makes me think like I'm pulling the fabric of space with everything I touch! =o

Thank you for that paper! ^^,

Comment

I first read about that in the science pages of the Dutch newspape 'de Volkskrant' :/
                what? you are one of those caravan driving, vegetable abusing cheese heads?

And I always thought that you are a good person.

I am sorry, won't happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                  what? you are one of those caravan driving, vegetable abusing cheese heads?

And I always thought that you are a good person.

I am sorry, won't happen again.

I normaly refrain from reading dead tree media. However my dad is subscribed to one. Sometimes the science section just plain sucks. They call it a quality paper, but sometimes the 'knowledge' from <insert university expert here> just plain contradicts factual data or is at least one year behind the times.

However my dad said to me "Have you read this?" and so I read it :')

Comment

[...] sometimes the 'knowledge' from <insert university expert here> just plain contradicts factual data or is at least one year behind the times.[...]
                    PS: The funnyest thing I've ever read was the 'declining rain forest', just when Nasa published satalite images a month ago that proved the rain forest grew by (1/3)...

Comment

And I am no cheesehead -_-

Comment

Working...
                      X