Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farewell To OpenSolaris. Oracle Just Killed It Off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
    Personally, I think Solaris has never been in better shape. Oracle is investing heavily in Solaris 11 and in SPARC. The new SPARC machines will have 16.384 threads and 64TB RAM. In Solaris, a thread is treated similarly as a cpu. Massive scalability in one single computer, 16.384 cpus.
    Sadly, Solaris supports only up to 64CPUs right now and may support up to 128CPUs next year. It's very limited number compared to Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
      Sadly, Solaris supports only up to 64CPUs right now and may support up to 128CPUs next year. It's very limited number compared to Linux.
      Because you dont call me "idiot" or "moron" in your post, I will answer.

Almost ten years ago, you could buy a 106 CPU Solaris server. Solaris scaled well even then.

A thread presents itself to the OS as a cpu. See for instance Windows cpu window if you have a hyperthreaded cpu, there will be two threads for each core so you will see two cpus for each core.

Today you can buy a 256 thread Solaris server "Sun T5440", which means the Solaris OS sees 256 cpus and use them very well. You need three IBM POWER p570 servers with 14 POWER6 CPUs at 5GHz, to get 7.000 SIEBEL benchmark points. The single Sun T5440 machine, which has 4 Niagara cpus at 1.4GHz, gets 14.000 points. That is double performance. Solaris does really use the CPUs very well, scales very well. One IBM p570 server costed 413.000 USD and one Sun T5440 costed 76.000 USD. You need six IBM p570 servers to match one Sun T5440 server.

(Here are some less credible talk about scalability, because it is a Sun guy that has written it.
      http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1095419 )

Of course you could compile OpenSolaris on a computer with 1000000000 cpus, does that mean that OpenSolaris can use all those CPUs well? Does it mean OpenSolaris scales well? If you compile Linux to such a machine, does it mean Linux scales well? No. The mere existence does not prove anything. You can not say "Linux is available on a machine with many cpus - this must mean Linux scales well". No.

If we talk about the 1024 cpu Linux machine from SGI, it behaves exactly as a cluster - that is, a network with some PCs. I have posted links explaining this. It is no coincidence that SGI posts benchmarks where the work load is embarassingly parallell, so SGI can partition the work load into 128 independent parts, and SGI runs each part on each node in the SGI machine. (As a coincidence, there are 128 nodes in the SGI machine. Just look at the benchmarks.)

Comment

Oh, to stop you're bull I say it different way:

Solaris can scale only up to 64 physical CPUs on a single machine while Linux can scale up to 4096 physical CPUs. I don't care about hyper threading etc. I also don't care I could buy a 106CPUs server years ago and I don't care how many threads Solaris sees.

The Sun Fire 15K supported up to 106 UltraSPARC III processors (up to 1.2 GHz)
        There's nothing about Solaris scaling up to 106CPUs, I could only buy server with such number of CPUs. Rhetoric and FUD as usual. Solaris scales to relatively small number of real CPUs compared to Linux. I don't care if you're replying me or not.

Comment

If we talk about the 1024 cpu Linux machine from SGI, it behaves exactly as a cluster - that is, a network with some PCs.
          We were talking also about 2048CPUs machine, afaik 4x256 CPU machines, so Linux scaled on four times bigger machines then Solaris could even handle (vertical scaling). And, as said Linux scales up to 4096CPUs and this is the fact.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            We were talking also about 2048CPUs machine, afaik 4x256 CPU machines, so Linux scaled on four times bigger machines then Solaris could even handle (vertical scaling). And, as said Linux scales up to 4096CPUs and this is the fact.
            Yeah, it scales right up until the point where you want to hotplug CPUs.

Comment

And Solaris does >144 CPUs right now, you can configure an F25K to boot one domain with all 144 CPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by LightningCrash View Post
                Yeah, it scales right up until the point where you want to hotplug CPUs.
                Hmm, as in online replacement of broken CPU's or what? (sounds risky if so unless you can cut power to the individual socket)

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  Hmm, as in online replacement of broken CPU's or what? (sounds risky if so unless you can cut power to the individual socket)
                  Yeah, replacing CPU and memory on a running system.
                  Hypothetically the NUMA hotplug support is there in Linux, but there isn't any hardware for it on x86. There is no support for the enterprise hotplug capabilities of non-x86 archs in Linux, either.
                  When you scale up to big hardware you have no single points of failure... E10Ks, 25Ks, M9Ks, etc. You can replace every component with the system running.

Comment

"... You can replace every component with the system running"

Only when you have redundancy ;P

Comment

Originally posted by LightningCrash View Post
                      And Solaris does >144 CPUs right now, you can configure an F25K to boot one domain with all 144 CPUs.
                      Yes, I heard that too. But didnt have a reliable post to show Kraftman. He would just call me a liar and FUDer for writing this, without any links. Actually, it doesnt matter if I show links or research papers, he will still totally ignore them and call me a FUDer and liar. It has happened at several times.

If you have links about this, please post them for me. Kraftman will just ignore your links and still spread FUD on the internet that Solaris only scales to 64 cpus - which is not true as both you and I have explained. There is no way someone can make him understand he is wrong, even if truth bit him in the back. He will continue to explain to everyone that Solaris only scales to 64 cpus. There is nothing you can do, to make him understand that is false. But if you have links, please show me. I will book mark that link and show it to other people. I want to always back up my claim with links when someone asks. I dont want to say false things, that would be bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X