Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: id Software Open-Sources ET, RTCW

Default id Software Open-Sources ET, RTCW

Phoronix: id Software Open-Sources ET, RTCW

id Software has announced from their annual QuakeCon event that they have open-sourced their Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and Return To Castle Wolfenstein games under the GNU GPL. id Software is known for open-sourcing their games and engines after some years of use and this day has finally come for these two very popular Wolfenstein titles...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODUwNA

Nasty Can't wait for a first games on ioetqw engine

Quote Originally Posted by tares View Post
    nasty can't wait for a first games on ioetqw engine
    rtcw =/= etqw

Is the source code of Doom 3 released? I thought it would be released shortly but these releases of code makes me question that I might simply missed Doom 3's source code's release...

Pretty cool that id released rtcw and et, though, because I thought that these were not supposed to be flossed.

I thought the Doom 3 sources were held up due to some problem with Creative having patented an algorithm that's used in the shadow volume generation code.

I don't think id will release the Doom3 engine before Rage has been released. In any case big ups to id for continuing to release their stuff as Free Software!

might I add, steam is selling all the ID and bethesda games (they have) on sale for 70usd for quakecon. Good time to pick up your ID goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Is the source code of Doom 3 released? I thought it would be released shortly but these releases of code makes me question that I might simply missed Doom 3's source code's release...

Pretty cool that id released rtcw and et, though, because I thought that these were not supposed to be flossed.
    I've seen a few random tweets from people claiming the release should be imminent, but nothing to back it up. I doubt it will come before Rage is released too.

Great news! I really like iD's policy and commitment when it comes to open-sourcing their code