Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory / RTCW source available

Straight from Quakecon:

... still sad to see id using QL as an excuse for not doing Linux ports.

This is BIG news.

Now someone just needs to integrate all the awesome Quake3 engine enhancements into ET to make this still awesome multiplayer classic even better! Can't wait to have Wolf:ET 2.0

Comment

Heh, both http://www.iowolfet.org/ and http://www.iortcw.org/ are registered and will be launched tonight.

Comment

Good news to hear.
        I hate that carmack sounds negative about linux in general.

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
          ... still sad to see id using QL as an excuse for not doing Linux ports.
          I don't normally comment on these things, but...
          I have QL installed. I don't play it because I'm sooo tired of "Run a round, jump like a spastic on a bouncy castle deathmatch" games. I do like FPS'ers but give me a story; give me Hit Man, Splinter Cell, Cold War. I'm sure the Linux community could organise a team to make something equal to, if not better than those three titles.

Comment

now we need ETQW to be released as open source along id tech 4 (doom3) src code!!

Comment

Originally posted by prophet5 View Post
              I have QL installed. I don't play it because I'm sooo tired of "Run a round, jump like a spastic on a bouncy castle deathmatch" games. I do like FPS'ers but give me a story; give me Hit Man, Splinter Cell, Cold War. I'm sure the Linux community could organise a team to make something equal to, if not better than those three titles.
              I feel the same way as you do! i hope that someone could make a team based game like W:ET and ET:QW.

Comment

Originally posted by prophet5 View Post
                That's basically the problem with using Quake Live as a divining rod for gaming on Linux. We don't have lot of games but (thanks largely to id!) we do have a lot of multiplayer first person shooters. I'm guessing most Linux gamers are either tired of them, or have already found their favourites (in OpenArena, Nexuiz, Alien Arena etc). QL might be novel and interesting for Win and Mac users, but I think it largely falls into the "meh" category here.

On the other hand, single player games, with a story - which Rage seems to be, we don't have lot of those...

Comment

what's the deal with id5, is rage, etc. supposed to be linux compatible?

Comment

It will probably be handled the same way Doom 3/Quake 4 was, a more or less unsupported port done by id's Timothee Besset.

Comment

Working...
                    X