ATI R800 linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Auroraa9420 View Post
    can any one tell me how to properly install the catalist driver without that out of range

because it is terible...i have the 2.6.35-14-generic kernel (withch i think it made my graphic probem even worse) and tell me how to fix it (i know how it should be installed :P)
    What's the exact issue? It's unlikely that someone will be able to help if you don't specify it precisely...

If it does not compile, add "#include <linux/slab.h>" to the file that doesn't compile (I think it is kcl_wait.h).

You might indeed need to use the X server from Lucid if using Maverick.
    In that case, just add Lucid too to the apt sources, and either use "/lucid" on the apt-get command-line, or add package pins to /etc/apt/preferences.

Alternatively, use a supported released distribution.

Also try aticonfig --initial to setup a clean xorg.conf.

10.6 seems to work better than 10.7 (haven't tried the 10.7 update linked from the OpenCL SDK).

Comment

Ubuntu 10.4 and catalyst.

Wtf do I seriously have to do to get ubuntu to work with catalyst and my HD5850!

Tried everything. Repository drivers, install from ati site, third party repository..

It freezes and never loads to desktop with catalyst.

So tired of this garbage. I know the driver works on other distros PCLinuxOS ran fglrx fine. why? is ubuntu 10.4 not working? someone has to know..

sigh. waiting on open source driver to bring slow eventual 3D..

Comment

Originally posted by Agdr View Post
        What's the exact issue? It's unlikely that someone will be able to help if you don't specify it precisely...

If it does not compile, add "#include <linux/slab.h>" to the file that doesn't compile (I think it is kcl_wait.h).

You might indeed need to use the X server from Lucid if using Maverick.
        In that case, just add Lucid too to the apt sources, and either use "/lucid" on the apt-get command-line, or add package pins to /etc/apt/preferences.

Alternatively, use a supported released distribution.

Also try aticonfig --initial to setup a clean xorg.conf.

10.6 seems to work better than 10.7 (haven't tried the 10.7 update linked from the OpenCL SDK).
        i use 10.4 and i whant to use .sh

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          the 10.4 catalyst in ubuntu 10.04 is a little bit old for your card.

means you can't install the standart catalyst in the 10.04 repo

download catalyst 10-7 and install it in init3 on ubuntu 'grub save root boot'

there is a true chance to become 3d radeon support for r800 in mesa7.9 and maybe mesa 7.9 comes to ubuntu 10.10.
          is there a mesa driver that supports at least the 2D part these days?

if there is

plz give me the git/hg repository to download it and install it (and tell me if there is something special that i should know when i compile this crap :S)

Comment

can anyone help me with installing the r800 driver for linux (i have a sapphire 5830 card) on ubuntu (lucid ofc)
            1. Go to System->Administration->Restricted drivers
            2. Click on the driver
            3. Click on the install button
            4. Reboot

Comment

is there a mesa driver that supports at least the 2D part these days?
              Mesa is OpenGL. For 2D you need an Exa driver (some part of X.org).

Comment

i use 10.4 and i whant to use .sh
                Do you actually expect people to help you when you are apparently incapable of giving a useful problem description?

My god, I feel sorry for the guys over at launchpad who have to put up with this crap on a daily basis.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                  1. Go to System->Administration->Restricted drivers
                  2. Click on the driver
                  3. Click on the install button
                  4. Reboot
                  not only that your restricted drivers isn't named that way (Hardware Drivers) + i tried that and it didn't work

because i will allways get a out of range monitor witch i cant fix

in case you know how to do it with command line plz tell me :S

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                    Do you actually expect people to help you when you are apparently incapable of giving a useful problem description?

My god, I feel sorry for the guys over at launchpad who have to put up with this crap on a daily basis.
                    yea actualy that descripton sucks pretey bad :S :P

Comment

because i will allways get a out of range monitor witch i cant fix
                      Try to explicitly specify the hsync and vsync ranges for your monitor in xorg.conf.
                      The manual for the monitor may help, otherwise try random values until it works

Also, if the open-source driver works (which it should, if you try a recent kernel), the Xorg log will probably contain suitable information (either the correct ranges, a set of working values, or a working modeline).

Comment

Working...
                      X