No announcement yet.

ATI R800 linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only thing that can fix your problem is time. Come back in 3 years and see. trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Agdr View Post
      Uh? It works fine with the Catalyst driver, just install it.
      QFT, Radeon HD 5570 works well. I don't know about the 5830, though, but it should do just fine.
      Also the 5570 is being used with Debian Squeeze.

Comment

Originally posted by racecar56 View Post
        QFT, Radeon HD 5570 works well. I don't know about the 5830, though, but it should do just fine.
        Also the 5570 is being used with Debian Squeeze.
        Works well, how? At what?

It's really confusing. Some card owners claim A and some claim B.

With the FGLRX / binary driver, I wish I could have a list or a diagram of what 'works' and what that means, explicitly.

For e.g., Gaming: then the what works/what doesn't ... native games, Windows games with Wine... etc. I think Phoronix has good articles for this so this doesn't confuse me too much.

My priority is video, 2D and 3D, though. The 'up-to-date' status for the Evergreen cards sounds like these areas are all problem areas throughout. Tearing occurs or video glitches with 2D. Having Compiz or using KDE makes things worse? These are all problems that seem to have occurred since Catalyst 10.6 since I recall reading similar complaints.

How come ATI neglects these problems to such degree? It can't be just concentration on workstations.

Comment

Workstation users buy bluray/dvd and play em in standalone players on a huge tv

Comment

10.10 = Development, not General

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            2.6.35 ? do you use ubuntu 10.10 ?

catalyst do not support 10.10 anylonger because of xserver1.9

catalyst only can handle 1.8
            10.10 is a *development/testing* distribution at present (it's not even due until October 2010 at the earliest; the beta is not even a week old), which is why Catalyst 10.8 won't (and shouldn't) support it.

If you want closed-source driver support, then run 10.04.1 (which supports Catalyst back to 10.6 just fine); I won't run 10.10 *because* I have R8xx (Evergreen; Cedar in particular) and thus need the closed-source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              do you really think i don't know this all ?
              Haha, you guys would make a good comedy team.

ATI in Linux is a big sham. I wonder what kind of drugs makes you feel that way????

People with their Windows boxes are already using their R800 cards... they do 3D, 2D, hardware acceleration etc. etc. Linux users with R800 cards are staring at their cards wondering what went wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                ATI in Linux is a big sham.
                I think that is a good way to look at it.

The discrepancy, disparity between ATI drivers in Windows and drivers in Linux should be really looked at and analysed. Both open source and closed drivers for ATI in Linux has little investment, too little investment. I think this is apparent except for the fanatical zealots. The ideal is so great the reality clouds their thinking. I think Linux users should complain and be a loud voice. Probably nothing will be done but just taking it and thinking ATI is good because there's an open source driver won't change anything, imho.

Anyway, just think about it.

Comment

Loud voice is different from whining.

In the Linux community, the loudest voices are found in git and svn commits. The drivers are open, anyone can help. That's how Linux works.

If you can't help, you can sponsor a developer, file bug reports, bisecting, writing test cases, testing apps for compatibility, help with the wikis, help running the irc channels, helping other people with installation and bug reporting, package drivers for your favourite distribution, etc.

If you insist on seeing Linux as a product, you will always be disappointed, because it simply is not, and will never be, a product. And that's why an open source driver changes EVERYTHING. It makes ATi hardware a first-class citizen in the Linux ecosystem. The performance is not great yet, but it works for most everyday tasks. The rest will have to evolve, like the Linux kernel evolved, like OpenOffice evolved, like Mozilla evolved. with time, it will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                    People with their Windows boxes are already using their R800 cards... they do 3D, 2D, hardware acceleration etc. etc. Linux users with R800 cards are staring at their cards wondering what went wrong.
                    The obvious answer being not having done any homework before buying

Do you also want zero-day malware support?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                      The obvious answer being not having done any homework before buying

Do you also want zero-day malware support?
                      I don't know what you're talking about. Care to elaborate?

I'm just saying that it's a real shame that there's not more resources invested towards Linux support on the ATI side, both with the closed blobs and open drivers.

I've done tons of homework. Why do you think I'm stating this?

I don't know if there's a number (%) value of how many features or functionality the fglrx drivers provide but it seems way too low, excessively disproportionate to Windows. At least, compared to Nvidia. Not that Nvidia has anything to boast about but it seems like a signfiicant difference. Not sure what your malware comment is about either. Maybe you didn't grasp my complaint or chose to overlook it?

Comment

Working...
                      X