Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    *snip*
    So to use this under Linux, you must be one of the few, who use Linux, who have a newer Nvidia Card and use the binary Nvidia drivers. I think that makes not much sense.
    Why using Linux if you like proprietary vendor-specific solutions, I don?t get it?
    *snip*
    There are lot more reasons to use linux besides being opensource. For a lot of people and companies the opensource part is only an extra.

If you want the use all the functions of you new videocard, nvidia is the closest thing you can get for linux.

In this context you should be able to understand why a large amount of linux users use nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      That pretty much accounts for the largest hardware combination of linux users.
      oops... missed this one. Well its now twice as clear

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        VDPAU is most DEFINITELY proprietary. They may have released an API, but they have NOT released the necessary HARDWARE PROGRAMMING DOCUMENTATION to actually implement it. As long as the secret sauce in their blob remains secret, VDPAU remains proprietary.
        So then when VA-API is used with ATI I guess that is proprietary as well by your logic.

Comment

or openGL or openCL or (insert any API that is open) ....

Comment

Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
            Lol do you live under a rock or something. Nvidia is
            the single most used GPU according to Phoronix Graphics Survey 07'-09' and most
            likely again this year.
            I very strongly doubt that the phoronix graphics survey is a representative
            sample of GNU/Linux users. It is a poll of a self-selecting group among
            readers of a website which is titled

"Linux Hardware Reviews, Benchmarking, & Gaming".

It may be reasonable to claim from the survey results that nvidia GPUs are
            popular among GNU/Linux users who are also enthusiasts about hardware and
            gaming, but extending the results beyond that is rather dubious.

Comment

Originally posted by Draconx View Post
              I very strongly doubt that the phoronix graphics survey is a representative
              sample of GNU/Linux users. It is a poll of a self-selecting group among
              readers of a website which is titled

"Linux Hardware Reviews, Benchmarking, & Gaming".

It may be reasonable to claim from the survey results that nvidia GPUs are
              popular among GNU/Linux users who are also enthusiasts about hardware and
              gaming, but extending the results beyond that is rather dubious.
              Smolts hardware database shows pretty much the same results.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Smolts hardware database shows pretty much the same results.
                You mean this one that shows a majority of users not using nvidia cards?

It's also another self-selecting sample, apparently with an 80% detection failure rate (assuming I read the top line of that page correctly).

Comment

Originally posted by Draconx View Post
                  You mean this one that shows a majority of users not using nvidia cards?

It's also another self-selecting sample, apparently with an 80% detection failure rate (assuming I read the top line of that page correctly).
                  No, that's not due to failure rate, that's 80% of the stats had no video devices which is not uncommon in linux land. A bunch of server farms are included in those stats which run headless (not to mention appliances and such).

Comment

Say what you want. You got no representive Site thats shows that most Linuxers (not only geeks) use Nvidia GPUs, and even if you take that smolt-results. There are only 0.7% users in this statistik who uses Nvidia GPUs, there are 0.9% that use Intel or AMD solutions, so if you ignore the other stuff Nvidia has less than 50% market share. (from this share there are surely also a few nviddia igps or older cards that also dont support physix.

Of course I cannot tell you what to use, I wanted only to say that -> I <- think it would be stupid and not good. If you only care for Linux because it have technical advantages go on, write your programm, don?t try to give or sell it to me and have a nice live

But I am shure that it will die, even if Nvidia will have 70% of the Linux gpu sells for the next 3 years, if it have only 30% in the windows market, the vendor-lockin physix will not survive.

Go on be my guest to waste time in a dying thing, have fun.

Comment

Say what you want, you got no representive Site thats shows that most Linuxers (not only geeks) use Nvidia GPUs, and even if you take that smolt-results. There are only 0.7% users in this statistik who uses Nvidia GPUs, there are 0.9% that use Intel or AMD solutions, so if you ignore the other stuff Nvidia has less than 50% market share. (from this share there are surely also a few nviddia igps or older cards that also dont support physix.

Of course I cannot tell you what to use, I wanted only to say that -> I <- think it would be stupid and not good. If you only care for Linux because it have technical advantages go on, write your programm, don?t try to give or sell it to me and have a nice live

But I am shure that it will die, even if Nvidia will have 70% of the Linux gpu sells for the next 3 years, if it have only 30% in the windows market (they just lost leadership in grafics-card and the next AMD-graphics-gen is coming), the vendor-lockin physix will not survive.

As a company like Nvidia you can only push a vendor-specific game technologie if you are market-leader, if you loose that, the game-selling companys sell less games if they dont support the new market-leader fully. Each percent that Nvidia looses, they have to pay more money to game-companys to use their stuff over free alternatives that suppports all hardware.

So go on be my guest to waste time in a dying thing, have fun.

Comment

Working...
                      X