KDE Software Compilation 4.5 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    I am currently using Arch Linux with GNOME, and while this upgrade probably won't make me switch, i might give it a try to see what's new and if it is finally stable. I have tried every past version and i always had many problems with it.
    Like me with the latest Gnome.

While KDE is flashy, i dislike it visually. I prefer the simplicity and clarity of GNOME. A Desktop Environment should be there just to help you run your programs, organize your running programs, creating shortcuts for programs and settings and displaying some information like time etc, nothing more nothing less.[/QUOTE]

Stay with Win95 then.

KDE gives me the impression that it tries to impress the user with multiple choices, like having 100s of choices 99% of the people wouldn't bother changing makes it a more sophisticated environment... And i hate its plastic toy feel. Plus i find plasma widgets useless...
    It's funny, because I use more then 3/4 of these what KDE offers. Different opinions I suppose.

There is also the Myth that KDE is more advanced. It isn't. It is just tha not every aspect of a typical GNOME desktop is part of GNOME itself. For example Compiz isn't part of GNOME but it is used almost universally. Pulseaudio, gstreamer, mono, cairo dock, are examples of software i use to make my environment better that do not belong to GNOME, but cooperate nicely with it.
    While those parts don't belong to Gnome they doesn't count as its advantages. Compiz, PA (KDE supports this), gstreamer, mono (lol) nothing interesting.

KDE strives for better intergration and while you can use that software with it too, it doesn't cooperate that well, for example i still find pulseaudio intergration lacking and amarok doesn't work with gstreamer backend...
    Oh, is rhythmbox or banshee working with XINE? I guess it's not.

The other myth is that qt is superior just because it offers more functions than gtk, ignoring the fact that gtk is only supposed to offer just a gui toolkit and having other libraries offer the rest, while qt strives to be an all-in-one package. And while gtk is lacking transparency and blur, it will get them in version 3...

For anyone wondering why i am writting this, it is the same reason everytime there is a new KDE version KDE fanbois don't miss the chance to bash GNOME.
    This now it's not different. A gnome fanboy is bashing KDE as usual.

PS: 2 paragraphs are enough, if you believe otherwise state the newsworthy items of 4.5 ... Except that 16000 bugs were fixed which means that previous versions were buggy as hell and KDE fanbois were lying about them having a stable system...
    Two paragraphs are enough when comes to gnome - one feature deleted, one wallpaper aded. Dot. Scan shows gnome code suck compared to KDE:

There are dozens of apps in KDE, so it's logical there are more bugs. Gnome is small and buggy.

Comment

Another reason i dislike KDE is the culture of its developers. The mentality that "it works for me" is the answer to every critic. The blatant lies "never faced a crash since 4,1" i often read and think they must believe we are idiots. Their fixation on looks and not substance. Their negative approach on fixing serious problems like the encoding bug which leaves empty files which are not deletable.
      The mentality "people doesn't need such features" is far more idiotic then some can imagine. What about negative aproach when comes to f-spot developers (I guess it's part of gnome now)? What the hell is this:

Is there a way to set the date for a single photo? Or maybe some idiot decided such feature isn't needed? Is this fixed?

Comment

If you report on an area, say graphics drivers, then you don't just report on Intel. Same goes for DE's. You report equaly on Gnome as you do on Xfce as you do on KDE. THAT is the point.

Comment

fedora 13 upgrade

Hi,

I am using Fedora 13 is there a guide somewhere that shows how to update KDE to the latest version?

Thanks a lot,
          Sebastian

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
            [...]

No comment
            Ah and here come the trolls.

You know if you took bugs/loc you'd see a decrease. It is clear that the total number of open bugs is rising when new software gets added.

Another reason i dislike KDE is the culture of its developers. The mentality that "it works for me" is the answer to every critic. The blatant lies "never faced a crash since 4,1" i often read and think they must believe we are idiots. Their fixation on looks and not substance. Their negative approach on fixing serious problems like the encoding bug which leaves empty files which are not deletable.
            I love it when people keep talking out of their asses. Yeah generalising rules ...
            There are hundreds of thousand lines of substance only, like huge parts of kdelibs etc.
            But yeah it is easier to ridicule others' work and telling lies than doing somehthing yourself.

PS: 2 paragraphs are enough, if you believe otherwise state the newsworthy items of 4.5 ... Except that 16000 bugs were fixed which means that previous versions were buggy as hell and KDE fanbois were lying about them having a stable system...
            Well for some features you could look here [1] or at the article on kde.org ... And 16000 is just a number -- in any case -- that would need further information to be usefull. With million lines of code having 21618 open bugs is not that bad especially since most of those aren't that criticall.

[1] http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.5_Feature_Plan in fact more got added than that as not every feature is mentioned there. I e.g. only mention features that won't be done before soft feature freeze.

Comment

Btw. if you look up the number of bugs of other large foss projects like Firefox or Gnome you'll realise that KDE is in good company in regards with the number of open bugs. It's just ridiculous to take a number out of context and use it as "argument".

Comment

KDE 4.5 on Fedora 13

Originally posted by seba View Post
                I am using Fedora 13 is there a guide somewhere that shows how to update KDE to the latest version?
                I couldn't find the packages on the Internet, but you can always try asking the Fedora KDE team on their IRC channel (#fedora-kde on FreeNode) or mailing list.

Comment

And here are the tribes fighting once more... It's like watching the national geographic channel.

Now, seriously, I use both Gnome and KDE and I find each has its strong points, although I'm beggining to get disappointed by the direction gnome is taking with the excessive simplification.
                  Unlike most die-hard KDE fans I tried it at version 3.5 and I hated it. I think versions 4.x are much more advanced and modern. But what do I know? I haven't been using linux since 1994...

Comment

I've been liking KDE 4 since 4.2.x and I keep checking it out every once in a while but until they fix dual head separate X screens, that is make such a setup possible again, in KDE 4 I just simply can't switch to it full time.

Comment

One thing to consider when citing bug numbers is that these are cumulative since KDE 1.x. Many of these bugs haven't been relevant for more than 5-6 years. Sometimes during developer sprints, they sit down and close all the bugs which are outdated and can't be duplicated, but even this takes weeks of work.

Also, a large number of those bugs are wishlists and suggestions, not bugs in the traditional sense.

Don't take this to mean that a barebones KDE install today has tens of thousands of bugs.

Comment

Working...
                      X