KDE Software Compilation 4.5 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by icek View Post
    Well, I tried install kubuntu, than install ubuntu and the difference was huge in my case. Without any tweaking ubuntu was much faster than kubuntu. I dont mean opening application but moving winodws, minimazing, maximazing, or "start" menu in KDE, that looks soooo choppy. Who cares if open office starts 1 second faster with KDE, when even moving desktop is soo irritating.
    Kubuntu is using Kwin, gnome doesn't support composition, so it's using compiz. Compiz seems to be much faster in some cases. You can use it with Kubuntu too.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      This should tell you that Kubuntu is not a very good distribution, which is something everybody else already knows. It's a side-project, not a serious distribution.

Try KDE on a distribution which actually tries to make it work, and then report back.
      It was a real pain upgrading KDE in Kubuntu. I installed 4.5 from backports and I had to wait one day, because some packages weren't synced yet (of course, nobody cared to post some warning about this).

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
        No sane developer would work with KDE... KDE is for amateurs...

And i am not trolling, just having fan bashing fanbois.
        Yeah and gnome is for who? Btw. aren't its devs lames who can only program in high level languages?

Comment

Hey, HEY... I CAN READ!

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          In the 4.5 anauncement on KDE Dot News there's LiveCD
          Thanks for the heads up V!NCENT; I actually didn't catch the livecd part.

I know this may not be the best experience of KDE, but since I'm using Ubuntu this cycle (love the ppas...) I just grabbed a KDE ppa that was backporting 4.5. I'm running updates now, and then, assuming nothing got too badly broken, I'll install 4.5.
          I'll give a run down of my thoughts, for any who are interested, after I've used it for a few days.

NOTE: I normally use a modified Gnome (a good bit of Elementary based changes), and run Mutter rather than metacity (though I don't use the Shell primarily, but I do use it often to see the changes -- there are some pretty specific changes I am looking for, that the devs said they are going to make, and when they happen I will move over there assuming it remains stable).

Best/Liam

Comment

Uhm, you might want to check that...

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            Kubuntu is using Kwin, gnome doesn't support composition, so it's using compiz. Compiz seems to be much faster in some cases. You can use it with Kubuntu too.
            Metacity has had compositing for years (though you can disable it via a gconf key), and Mutter obviously has it via Clutter.
            However, the point you should emphasize, IMHO, is that KWin is MUCH more sophisticated than metacity (tiling is a very important feature, IMHO, and one that Gnome Shell needs to include at least via a plugin).

Best/Liam

Comment

What project couldn't use more devs?

Originally posted by Adriano ML View Post
              LOL, TemplarGR, you fail at trolling.

Also, as many have already noted, KDE is a huge project. So huge that they need more developers.
              *** He asked rhetorically ***

Comment

*** He asked rhetorically ***
                ZSNES? I assume that's why they're hiding their code in private repos these days.

Comment

Haha, I just know mono and python sucks. Whenever I try mono or python app it's damn slow and sluggish while C++ apps are very fast.
                  Python absolutely rocks and has replaced perl for me when it comes to regexp, scripting and building visualisation tools (via PyQt).

I program serious stuff in C++, but python is a brilliant prototyping and rapid development language.

Comment

Sorry, but that's not a myth. This has been the case since the two desktops started, and it still is the case. Every major technology was first introduced by KDE.

That's a fact, not bashing. GNOME was started as an LGPL competitor to KDE which wasn't GPL in the early days. It succeeded in providing an alternative. It is, however, not more advanced.
                    I think it comes down to the tools. From a development perspective: Qt is far superior to Gtk in almost every way as a widget toolkit, and it provides an entire integrated application framework which Gtk simply doesn't have.

Comment

I program serious stuff in C++, but python is a brilliant prototyping and rapid development language.
                      ^That and nothing else. If people use this these high level languages for making enduser programs then these people:
                      1. are stupid
                      2. should be shot IMHO

Comment

Working...
                      X