No announcement yet.

Open source "Radeon" driver: vsync, vblank_mode, tearing and (open)GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Note that if you do what I said instead of using git snapshots, you get a stable kernel on every other component except DRM. That makes imo quite a bit more sense than using using just-pulled-into-Linus'-tree for everything.

Comment

1. I use an R300 Ati card. I was under the impression that that one's driver (= radeon) is quite different from the R600 one (= radeonhd). But maybe your tips do work on mine.

2. Am I right that (at the time of writing) no Linux distribution what so ever on the whole wide world comes with a 2.6.35+ kernel? And that I must compile one myself from source? Not that I'd mind but I'm surprised nobody else is having tis prob...

3. I do not use DVI for TV out, I use the S-video (= SVHS) out. I don't think that makes a lot of difference , but I thought I'd mention it.

Anyway, do you think that the extra options that I lost after switching to KMS mode will appear again after booting w/ a supernew kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by Meneer Jansen View Post
        1. I use an R300 Ati card. I was under the impression that that one's driver (= radeon) is quite different from the R600 one (= radeonhd). But maybe your tips do work on mine.
        All cards should now use radeon driver and KMS.
        2. Am I right that (at the time of writing) no Linux distribution what so ever on the whole wide world comes with a 2.6.35+ kernel? And that I must compile one myself from source? Not that I'd mind but I'm surprised nobody else is having tis prob...
        Very likely true. You might find some special repositories that make newer modules/kernels so you don't have to compile yourself, who knows.
        Anyway, do you think that the extra options that I lost after switching to KMS mode will appear again after booting w/ a supernew kernel?
        It might, don't know before you try. The thing is that KMS moved modesetting completely away from radeon/radeonhd drivers into kernel and some features that were in the old userspace modesetting might have been or might still be missing from kernel modesetting. Reporting bugs on missing functionality is a good habit.

Comment

ps. There is and never has been a separate kernel module for radeonhd, the two different drivers were just as X userspace display drivers.

Comment

Nope. Seems there are some more quirks to this. Now I can't overscan anymore. The picture does not cover the whole TV screen anymore. That is: without KMS the output of the command "xrandr --prop" is:
            Code:
            S-video disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
            	tv_standard: pal
            	tv_vertical_position: 0 (0x00000000)	range:  (-5,5)
            	tv_horizontal_position: 0 (0x00000000)	range:  (-5,5)
            	tv_horizontal_size: 0 (0x00000000)	range:  (-5,5)
            	load_detection: 0 (0x00000000)	range:  (0,1)
            Meaning that I can overscan (i.e. set hor/vert position and the hor. size). However if I boot with KMS then these parameters do not appear when I ask for the TV's properties w/ "xrandr --prop". And only with KMS the GL output (vsync) does noet tear or stutter. AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhh.

How can I fix this and what's the matter w/ xrandr if KMS is activated?
            Those options were never ported to kms. It should be pretty easy to add them.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              Those options were never ported to kms. It should be pretty easy to add them.
              Jippee. Since you are the driver developer: when do you think that will be included/ported? And will I have to update my kernel, the redeon driver or dri, mesa etc.?

(The Ubuntu 2.6.35.1 precompiled kernel was released today and I upgraded to that one. But, no success yet of course.)

Comment

Jippee. Since you are the driver developer: when do you think that will be included/ported? And will I have to update my kernel, the redeon driver or dri, mesa etc.?
                You will only have to update your kernel. I'm not sure when I will get to it. I'm happy to review a patch if someone else beats me to it.

Comment

Could anybody here tell me what is the currently suggested choice for video output in mplayer for an ati 4850(that is r700)? gl2, xv or what?

Comment

Originally posted by MisterIO View Post
                    Could anybody here tell me what is the currently suggested choice for video output in mplayer for an ati 4850(that is r700)? gl2, xv or what?
                    Linux? Then xv is always the prefered method.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                      You will only have to update your kernel. I'm not sure when I will get to it. I'm happy to review a patch if someone else beats me to it.
                      I sincerely hope that you will add said xrandr functionality to the kernel. If you write a patch, can I add that to any kernel source w/ the old command "patch -p0 < patch-file-name-here"? If so, then I'll try to compile a kernel myself if you write a patch. I am really very eagerly waiting for an updated kernel...

P.S. Some of those 2.6.35 kernels make my PC "hang" a couple of minuted after booting. Known bug? Don't have those probs w/ the 2.6.32 Ubuntu Lucid kernel.

Comment

Working...
                      X