Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau In Linux 2.6.36 Has NVIDIA Fermi Mode-Setting

Phoronix: Nouveau In Linux 2.6.36 Has NVIDIA Fermi Mode-Setting

Last week we reported on the first DRM pull request for the Linux 2.6.36 kernel and it brought forth some interesting features and improvements for the open-source Linux graphics drivers living within the kernel, but a second pull request has reached the email inbox of Linus Torvalds this afternoon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

See what one can do if one gives a determined hacker some hardware, sure it would be faster with specs and assistance from the engineers, but this is still pretty impressive.

Comment

The fact is, this reverse engineered hacking driver still progresses faster than the opposite party who has supposedly 'FULL ASSISTANCE AND DOCUMENTATION', pretty ironic isn't it? Good job Nouveau devs! You deserve the tip of hat

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
        The fact is, this reverse engineered hacking driver still progresses faster than the opposite party who has supposedly 'FULL ASSISTANCE AND DOCUMENTATION', pretty ironic isn't it? Good job Nouveau devs! You deserve the tip of hat
        /me wonders which hw is the opposite party and which opposite party hw is missing modesetting.

Or is FunkyRider just a bit of a flaming idiot.

Comment

At least the opposite party has initial power management...

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
            /me wonders which hw is the opposite party and which opposite party hw is missing modesetting.

Or is FunkyRider just a bit of a flaming idiot.
            pwnd!

Oh, and when will we finally be able to edit again and have posts of less then ten characters?

Comment

Maybe the opposite party is Intel and their Paulsbo chip?

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                pwnd!

Oh, and when will we finally be able to edit again and have posts of less then ten characters?
                Never? I seem to remember when it started it was supposed to be a temporary measure, but obviously Michael has decided not to fix it.

Comment

Hi Michael, I hope I am not nitpicking, you mentioned
                  ... Freescale offered free Fermi GPUs to open-source developers ...
                  , but I believe it is PathScale, and I couldn't verify that they are related to Freescale in any way (or may be I am missing something). If so, a correction (and due credit to PathScale) would be helpful.

Back on topic, I have mentioned this previously before in Phoronix forums, but repeating. As much I am thankful to Nvidia for their fully functional proprietary drivers, I am grateful beyond words to Nouveau developers. I was super surprised when I tried Nouveau recently and I saw accelerated text terminals, flawless mode switching, randr 1.2 screen management, working 3d (and 2d) and kwin compositing effects and a overall functional driver. Currently sticking to proprietary drivers for power management (as I have a heavy duty 9800m gs in my notebook) and gpu computing using cuda and opencl.

Comment

Originally posted by hdas View Post
                    Hi Michael, I hope I am not nitpicking, you mentioned

, but I believe it is PathScale,
                    Yeah, late night typo, fixed. Thanks.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X