No announcement yet.

ATI Radeon R600 Mesa Classic Driver Can Do OpenGL 2.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ps. Full OpenGL support hardly means OpenGL 2.1 on a chipset which supports something around OpenGL 3.0. (not that I wouldn't think current support is cool)

Comment

He got something confused.

Pre-r600 chips have full OpenGL support with free drivers.

R600 chips still need a lot of work before they have full OpenGL support (r600 supports OpenGL 3.3 in hardware)

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        He got something confused.

Pre-r600 chips have full OpenGL support with free drivers.

R600 chips still need a lot of work before they have full OpenGL support (r600 supports OpenGL 3.3 in hardware)
        oh my bad.. perhaps the confusion arose from having mesa report to support opengl up to version 1.5 when my chip is spec'd to support up to 2.0 ...

i suppose the work of developers is done, then. no wonder they dropped official support close to two years ago - the open source driver was complete!!

how dumb of me to think otherwise .. again, my apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by pedepy View Post
          oh my bad.. perhaps the confusion arose from having mesa report to support opengl up to version 1.5 when my chip is spec'd to support up to 2.0 ...

i suppose the work of developers is done, then. no wonder they dropped official support close to two years ago - the open source driver was complete!!

how dumb of me to think otherwise .. again, my apologies.
          You seem to be very confused.

It sounds as if you have an r3xx - r5xx card, which is fully supported up to 2.1 right now.

If you have a r6xx+ card, which isn't fully supported yet, you still have support from the ati fglrx driver.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            You seem to be very confused.

It sounds as if you have an r3xx - r5xx card, which is fully supported up to 2.1 right now.

If you have a r6xx+ card, which isn't fully supported yet, you still have support from the ati fglrx driver.

this is what is what i have: mobility radeon x1600, which supports opengl up to 2.0.

glxinfo outputs:

Code:
            OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
            OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 (RV530 71C5) 20090101 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL DRI2
            OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 7.9-devel
            which leads me to believe I only enjoy opengl support for versions up to 1.5.. if i use the gallium drivers, i get:

Code:
            OpenGL vendor string: X.Org R300 Project
            OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on RV530
            OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.9-devel
            OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
            which i suppose i better, except for the fact that everything tends to freeze and die sooner or later.

maybe you can clear my confusion and show me how to get full opengl support for my card, since - as you say - it is apparently well supported ?

Comment

which i suppose i better, except for the fact that everything tends to freeze and die sooner or later.
              What does "sooner or later" mean in this case? Haver you filed a bug?

Comment

maybe you can clear my confusion[...]?
                Well... If you are not using the proprietary driver then there are two FLOSS driver options.

The way that OpenGL works under Linux is Mesa. Mesa is an OpenGL implementation but officialy it is not due to legal concerns. But still think of Mesa as OpenGL.

Inside of Mesa there are drivers so when an application(/game) talks to OpenGL, it actualy talks to Mesa and mesa then talks to your graphics card.

So the version of OpenGL Mesa supports is the highest version you will get to enjoy, if the driver for your graphics card supports it, ofcourse. The current version of Mesa supports the OpenGL 2.1 API.

There are actually two drivers at the moment. The Radeon classic driver and the Radeon Gallium driver. Gallium is this new and flashy driver architecture that is going to rule the world, but for now most people use the classic drivers because they are more solid or feature complete.

Apperantly the classic driver that drives your card is only supporting up to 1.5.
                The Gallium driver that you also ran tells you it is OpenGL 2.1 compatible, but crashes. So why is that?

Well put realy simple: instead of writing drivers to expose an OpenGL or OpenGL ES or OpenCL API; Gallium drivers are our there to support only the Gallium API. So what happens to your OpenGL?

Stuff like OpenGL, OpenVG, OpenCL, DirectX and whatever is written on top of the Gallium API. So when your graphics driver exposes a Gallium API it automaticaly is compatible with all those other API's. Cool, huh? Same goes for nVidia and Intel.

So what happens here is that your Gallium driver doesn't fully work, but the OpenGL 2.1 'State Tracker' does, so your graphics card exposes OpenGL 2.1, while in fact it doesn't realy do that, or partialy or buggy.

Comment

OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.9-devel
                  There you go! OpenGL 2.1

So file a bug, instead of going on about OpenGL 1.5 and how r600 supports OpenGL 3.3 and whatnot.

Comment

ehh, okay, but pretty much all of the info i can find seems to say my chip supports up to 2.0, not 2.1 ... perhaps this is the cause of my troubles with the gallium driver?

Comment

The extensions you are missing will be performed in software, the rest (up to OpenGL 2.0) will be fully accelerated. At least the driver can run OpenGL 2.1 software, even if not all of it will be perfectly fast.

Comment

Working...
                      X