Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI Radeon R600 Mesa Classic Driver Can Do OpenGL 2.1

Phoronix: ATI Radeon R600 Mesa Classic Driver Can Do OpenGL 2.1

As many people have been quick to report out today in the forums, on Phoronix IRC, and via email, the ATI R600 Mesa DRI driver for the Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 series graphics cards now properly advertises OpenGL 2.1 / GL Shading Language 1.20 support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh ya. 2.1 is the magic number. It runs most things. I sure wish they would update nivdias driver. The few cards that can do hardware acceleration are pretty much stuck at OpenGL 2.0. I knew ATI's would e first ones into the open 2.1 field.

Comment

Originally posted by Hephasteus View Post
      Oh ya. 2.1 is the magic number. It runs most things. I sure wish they would update nivdias driver. The few cards that can do hardware acceleration are pretty much stuck at OpenGL 2.0. I knew ATI's would e first ones into the open 2.1 field.
      Intel has been doing 2.1 for quite a while now...

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
        Intel has been doing 2.1 for quite a while now...
        I don't think it counts if all the vertex stuff is being emulated on the CPU.

Comment

Boy am I glad I bought ATI cards. I did not expect that the driver development was going to be this good overal

Thank you devs and AMD!

My Evergreen is still on the shelf, so right now I'm using an onbeard r600, but I'm looking forward to plugging in that HD5770

Again thanks to all who made this happem!

PS: if somebody would like to have a silent r350 9800 pro to hack away at, let me know. I'll send it to wherever you live and for free.

Comment

Since Michael used my thread to make an news update about, and I mentioned wine preferring OpenGL 2.1 which was included in the article I decided to double check that so I don't look dumb.

Heres the wine commit that I was referring to http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.gi...e82309c640b59f

So apparently GLSL wasn't being used at all before today.
            But I did find a regression. I just fired up WoW in DirectX mode and I get a black screen at the menu. Sound works though.

OpenGL mode had always been glitchy and crashed really often for me, but it's the same before and after OpenGL 2.1

Comment

Maybe worth mentioning that X2: Reunion works (again) with latest Mesa git, although with some graphical glitches and less-than-glorious performance. So space addicts like myself can finally satisfy their problem without starring at severly corrupted textures (as with fglrx).

Thanks r600 devs!

(X3 still crashes though)

Comment

Originally posted by Xipeos View Post

(X3 still crashes though)
                BOOOOOOOOOO! I can't play this game with the open drivers or fglrx!

Comment

congradulations to r600 chip owners, you now have full opengl support via two seperate driver options. unfortunatly you can only use one at a time ! what a f'in bummer, eh ?

as for suckers like me, who happened to buy ati gear just a few months too early, i guess we can just keep taking it in the ass. no biggie.

Comment

Originally posted by pedepy View Post
                    congradulations to r600 chip owners, you now have full opengl support via two seperate driver options. unfortunatly you can only use one at a time ! what a f'in bummer, eh ?
                    Clarify. The open driver for pre-r600 chips is probably still more feature-complete than the r600 driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X