HOWTO implement an OpenGL extension for Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marek View Post
    That's what VMWare/TG, Nouveau, and Radeon people think. However Intel doesn't seem to be moving to Gallium anytime soon.
    Yeah, I was thinking mostly about Radeon here.

Comment

Posting here again, all Hopes on Marek

a little patch to add card's model names to r600g

so now it displays card model in glxinfo for me

OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
      OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on ATI Radeon HD 4850
      OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.9-devel
      OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

currently there is ~65 model names

Comment

Let not do that. Something like what the classic drivers or r300g do would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          Let not do that. Something like what the classic drivers or r300g do would be better.
          care to explain why ?

Comment

We really only need to expose the asic variant (rs780, rv620, rv730, etc.) the "full" names are just marketing names and tend to confuse users and cause bug reports. E.g., my "Radeon HD 4370 Ultra Extreme Edition Super++ is incorrectly reported as a Radeon HD 4550", etc.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              We really only need to expose the asic variant (rs780, rv620, rv730, etc.) the "full" names are just marketing names and tend to confuse users and cause bug reports. E.g., my "Radeon HD 4370 Ultra Extreme Edition Super++ is incorrectly reported as a Radeon HD 4550", etc.
              you are right, i thought about same.

Comment

Part of the problem is that you will often find multiple names mapped to the same IDs.

This normally leads to a never-ending series of "fix the name" patches each "correcting the problem introduced by the previous patch"
                Test signature

Comment

but, can't you just ignore such "bug"-reports ?

Comment

The issue is that if the naming is more detailed than the ID/name mapping will support the results are actually *worse* for most users
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      The issue is that if the naming is more detailed than the ID/name mapping will support the results are actually *worse* for most users
                      Ok, but, what about this way: map names of cards which is 100% known to have some device-id and no other name use this dev-id.

like 4850 - 9442
                      4870 - 9440
                      4890 - 9460/9462
                      also 4850x2, 4870x2, 4770, 5770, 5750, 5870, 5850, 5970, 2600xt, 2600pro, 2900gt, 3870

and use r600c like method for rest of cards

Comment

Working...
                      X