AMD Radeon HD 4250 880G On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Sorry if i wasn't clear. I'm a fairly happy user of the OSS drivers, I only wish they would be faster and support more of the hardware's capabilities. But what i wrote above is what would need to happen for me to seriously consider switching back to fglrx. Without #1, it would be impossible. #2 and #3 are the only things i can think that would tempt me.
    I don't think that *anything* could convince me to switch to the blob... Even on the nvidia side of things, I use nouveau. It just works so much nicer

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      after all the 785G is actually an RS880 (practically identical to the 880G chipset), including integrated radeon 4200.

Here's the relevant phoronix news article relating to it:
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
      I stumbled across this post as I seek a solution to system instability that seems to be arising out of the graphics system for my 785G board with Radeon HD 4200 IGP [Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H (AMD 785G chipset AMD SB710) BIOS updated to version F8].

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to set up my system correctly, or participate in some way to assist the Fedora community in getting open source support for this hardware.

I have tried Fedora 12 through to 14 on my system. I have tried to poke under the hood as far as I could with my limited knowledge. Things have definitely improved.

My system was plagued by SIGSEGV and SIGABRT errors earlier. I was able to achieve some stability on F13 with the Catalyst driver and a specific kernel version. I installed F14 this weekend. Keen to stick with the open source driver, was glad to see Compiz work initially. Ran ok for a while, then started getting SIGSEGVs again. So I turned that off and went back to the default (The standard desktop effect is 2D, I guess). Don't know where to go from here. Or is this the best that is presently possible with this hardware? Would appreciate some direction.

I am trying to maintain a history of my findings << here >>, hoping someone with knowledge of linux graphics can point out how to get this right.

Comment

Originally posted by xprezons View Post
        I stumbled across this post as I seek a solution to system instability that seems to be arising out of the graphics system for my 785G board with Radeon HD 4200 IGP [Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H (AMD 785G chipset AMD SB710) BIOS updated to version F8].

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to set up my system correctly, or participate in some way to assist the Fedora community in getting open source support for this hardware.

I have tried Fedora 12 through to 14 on my system. I have tried to poke under the hood as far as I could with my limited knowledge. Things have definitely improved.

My system was plagued by SIGSEGV and SIGABRT errors earlier. I was able to achieve some stability on F13 with the Catalyst driver and a specific kernel version. I installed F14 this weekend. Keen to stick with the open source driver, was glad to see Compiz work initially. Ran ok for a while, then started getting SIGSEGVs again. So I turned that off and went back to the default (The standard desktop effect is 2D, I guess). Don't know where to go from here. Or is this the best that is presently possible with this hardware? Would appreciate some direction.

I am trying to maintain a history of my findings << here >>, hoping someone with knowledge of linux graphics can point out how to get this right.
        As far as I know, that board should be running perfect in F14. You may have a defective board or possibly RAM. I would suggest, if possible, try installing an add-in video card and see if that functions normal. Also, if you have more than one stick of RAM, try pulling one and then the other and see if that solves it. Also, be sure that your RAM is clocked properly!

Comment

Typo? 4270??

Comment

Originally posted by storma View Post
            Typo? 4270??
            No, he actually means 7270.

Comment

It's a typo on HP's behalf, they've fixed it up now. I should of been clearer.

Comment

Working...
              X