Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon HD 4250 880G On Linux

Phoronix: AMD Radeon HD 4250 880G On Linux

Back in May we looked at the AMD Radeon HD 4290 integrated graphics Linux performance of the 890GX motherboard chipset found on the MSI 890GXM-G65 and many other motherboards. This ATI Radeon 4290 (890GX) wasn't the most compelling integrated graphics processor we found with its OpenGL performance using the proprietary Catalyst driver being significantly lower than even the cheapest PCI Express graphics cards. X-Video Bitstream Acceleration, the method whereby AMD exposes their UVD2 engine capabilities on Linux, was also rather useless (and to this day still is the case) that makes this an ineffective Linux Home Theater PC too. Since the launch of the 890GX chipset, AMD rolled out the 880G chipset as a less-expensive solution for motherboard vendors and offers a stripped-down graphics processor of what is found in the 890GX and is branded as the ATI Radeon HD 4250. Today we have a few benchmarks of the Radeon HD 4250 (880G) under Linux for your viewing pleasure.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The plus side going to ATI hardware is the open-source support, for which the 880G/890GX chipsets there is kernel mode-setting, the classic Mesa DRI driver, and an emerging Gallium3D driver, but with this IGP hardware not being the fastest with the performance-optimized Catalyst driver, the open-source performance is sadly worse.
    It would be nice to see a comparison of Catalyst to the OSS stack anyway, to see where we are and how far we still have to go.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      It would be nice to see a comparison of Catalyst to the OSS stack anyway, to see where we are and how far we still have to go.
      Yes, that could be usefull, too.

I don't get it why HD4290 is even worse than HD4250. I thought 4290 is the most powerfull AMD IGP chipset.
      And this resolution comparision look strange that at 1024x768 and 1280x1024 resolutions you've get less FPS than on 1680x1050 and higher.

Comment

IMO the strange performance in 1024x768 and 1280x1024 resolutions is a bug in the drivers. Was everything tested on the same stack (including Catalyst version)? Anyway, HD4290 should be faster than HD4250...

Comment

Yeah - it's like some memory settings are being handled wrong.

Since there are unified graphics shaders it might make sense to do vertex shading (up to a point) on the CPU, too...

Comment

There's no mention in the article about sideport memory.
            A quick research show that both motherboards have 128 Mb of 1333 Mhz DDR3 sideport memory. Maybe Asrock is timing them more aggressively (usually they do this to appear in the first positions of the reviews).

Comment

Conclusion - get an AMD 770/870 board and a GT220.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                Conclusion - get an AMD 770/870 board and a GT220.
                Get an nVIDIA video card.

Comment

It is unfortunate that AMD's Linux/X.org support remains half-heartedly inadequate (although basically functional).

Their IGP and (upcoming) "Fusion" combos would be excellent in terms of performance and cost-effectiveness everywhere where MS-Windows licensing fees and bloat favour Linux and OSS.

How would ULV-level performance at or near netbook cost sound like? Now how about the same but without proper power management and with significant features missing? That's what I thought.

Same issues affect AMD's desktop offerings. Potentially great (with Fusion potentially ideal), but kneecapped by AMD's own support.

Intel's GMA offerings starting from their low-end, while pricier than AMD's, enjoy solid OSS support so AMD's price advantage is lost before the race even began. That's in the high volume segment. At the other end the OSS-hostile Nvidia's proprietary drivers beat AMD/ATI's own preferred proprietary support as well...

Sadly I see no signs of Fusion gaining proper (parity) Linux/X.org support so what could be a game changer whimpers into a relative non-event. I can't even remember the last time I saw an AMD-based box or notebook preloaded with Linux by an OEM or a local shop. I hope I'm wrong as I'd really like welcome AMD back to my personal and recommended hardware list.

Comment

Other than video decode acceleration, what features do you think are missing from the proprietary drivers ? OEM preloads are done with fglrx, not the open drivers. The open source drivers are not supposed to replace fglrx, they are supposed to make it easy for distros to offer a great experience when installing on already-purchased hardware.

Re: power management and the open drivers, last time I checked there were no plans to stop work on power management - quite the opposite in fact. Did you hear something different ? I get the feeling you think that *we* are supposed to doing all of the open source driver development; that was not the plan originally and is not the plan today. We provide programming information, help with initial support, and provide direct developer support to the community but we are emphatically *not* writing the open source drivers ourselves.

Also note that Q is not actually the official keeper of the AMD product release calendar, despite appearances
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X