Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ATI R600/700 DDX & Mesa Now Have Tiling In Place

Phoronix: The ATI R600/700 DDX & Mesa Now Have Tiling In Place

Now that the Linux 2.6.36 kernel is set to ATI R600/700 tiling support within the Radeon DRM code, patches for hooking into this tiling support have been committed to the xf86-video-ati DDX and the classic Mesa DRI R600 drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally! Rush out and buy a HD 4870. EOL.... Wooooooooot????

Comment

This has got me thinking; back in the day, at least, only the expensive radeons had thermal sencors made available, while the 'celeron' versions of these card also had the sencors but were disabled by the driver.

So... does this now mean that we'll alwas have thermal sencors on even the lower range of cards?

Awesome xD

Comment

Older cards didn't have internal thermal sensors so it was not a matter of them being disabled. They were external i2c chips, so either the card had one or it didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          Older cards didn't have internal thermal sensors so it was not a matter of them being disabled. They were external i2c chips, so either the card had one or it didn't.
          This was back when the there were two 9800pro's out there: the r350 version and the r360 version (9800 XT).

If my memory serves me well, the r360 9800 Pro was actually a 9800 XT but without the thermal sencors, or at least it may had them but you couldn't overclock it because you couldn't read them with a user space app to see how hot it would get. So the overclocking goodness was reserved to the 9800 XT, although you could flash it with 9800 XT firmware and them you had a 9800 XT.

I also remember people taking pencils to restore some damaged circuitry xD

Comment

R3xx asics did not have internal thermal sensors; it was introduced rv6xx asics. R3xx boards used external i2c thermal chips like the lm63 or lm64 if the OEM chose to.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              R3xx boards used external i2c thermal chips like the lm63 or lm64 if the OEM chose to.
              Ah I see. ATI doesn't make their own cards (anymore), right?
              But yeah that was probably the case

Comment

We make a few, but most are built by board partners.

Comment

Benchmarks of this feature?

Comment

Backported for Ubuntu 10.10?

Sorry but I have to ask, because I doubt Ubuntu 10.10 would ship with the 2.6.36 kernel (they are approaching beta, it would be crazy to jump to an early stage kernel). Hopefully this beauty will make it to 2.6.35? Anyone knows?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X