Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Linux Desktop Responsiveness Patches Are Feeling Good

Hybrid View

Default The Linux Desktop Responsiveness Patches Are Feeling Good

Phoronix: The Linux Desktop Responsiveness Patches Are Feeling Good

As was reported on Phoronix yesterday, the Linux desktop responsiveness problem may be fixed. This is the issue that has affected many Linux desktop users for numerous months where when dealing with large file transfers or other disk operations, the desktop interface (regardless of whether its GNOME, KDE, Xfce, etc) would become unresponsive and it could be a good number of seconds before a simple action like clicking a menu item would be processed...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODQ3OQ

Your assumption is wrong. KernelofTruth's backport only contains 2 out of 7 of the patches. There are 5 additional that he did not backport:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p...0.html#6377520

Please try to do fact checks on your assumptions in the future before reporting them.

Oh there's 7 patches that all together fix the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by DeepDayze View Post
    Oh there's 7 patches that all together fix the issue?
    indeed, but they are more tricky to backpart

at least starting with the 3rd patch I tried it and parts of the code are spread all over the file

since I'm not that experienced I'm waiting for someone else to backport (most favorably the zen-kernel devs )

Quote Originally Posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
    indeed, but they are more tricky to backpart

at least starting with the 3rd patch I tried it and parts of the code are spread all over the file

since I'm not that experienced I'm waiting for someone else to backport (most favorably the zen-kernel devs )
    Damentz (he's one of the zen devs) has some experience with backporting patches so he might take a crack at backporting all 7 patches to 2.6.35 (and maybe 2.6.34)

Quote Originally Posted by DeepDayze View Post
    Damentz (he's one of the zen devs) has some experience with backporting patches so he might take a crack at backporting all 7 patches to 2.6.35 (and maybe 2.6.34)
    I backported them two days ago -> http://git.zen-kernel.org/?p=kernel/...eads/mm-2.6.34

You'll want to merge this branch into your 2.6.34 kernel tree.

Quote Originally Posted by damentz View Post
    I backported them two days ago -> http://git.zen-kernel.org/?p=kernel/...eads/mm-2.6.34

You'll want to merge this branch into your 2.6.34 kernel tree.
    Great!

You put them all into your latest 2.6.35 kernel right?

since I'm pretty busy - I unfortunately can't do the further backporting

anyways: the results already are pretty impressive considering that it's only a small amount of code that's been added / removed (those 2 patches)

I thought this was FUD, but it was true? Linux could not handle things without lagging sometimes? And now, is the situation better or does it still occur?

Quote Originally Posted by kebabbert View Post
    I thought this was FUD, but it was true? Linux could not handle things without lagging sometimes? And now, is the situation better or does it still occur?
    it was true for some time in the past (for me)

from my observation it most probably got worse / introduced after 2.6.34 since that kernel was working excellent for me back then - even under heavy traffic

luckily with those lots of changes and the other improvements coming (e.g. reducing barrier writing, a unified slab (v3), and more) the future looks bright