No announcement yet.

5870 perfromance, just though i'd ask?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5870 perfromance, just though i'd ask?

Now I prurchased a 1 gig gigabyte 5870 the other day for future use. I tried it out to see how it went.
    driver was catalyst 10-7, had a crack on Windows XP perfomance spectacular. On Linux (debian testing) FGLRX complied OK 3D performance on simple stuff (not a good test for such a card) somewhat better than my 4870 so I regard that as OK. Played DVD's no problems. 2D though particularly drawing the image on the background of the screen very slow, would take around 1/4 of a second. Display is a Samsung 305T 2560x1600.

The video card in the machine was and still is a NVidia GTX 260 Superoverclocked. This works OK.

Is this slow 2D Ok or am I missing something. Important note, does not bother me much at present as drivers for newish cards always take a bit of time to "hit the straps". The card was obtained because by the time the drivers in Linux become really top stuff for a card (other than possibly closed src NVidia) the said card can no longer be purchased.

Blacksmith

XP is maybe the most stupid os for that card as you can not use dx10/11. 10-7 is a very bad driver when you want to test unigine heaven, only 10-6 works for that. Did you use my script to install? Hopefully you removed every nvidia bit before...

Comment

Welcome to self-torture club. Your HD 5870 will be supported in OSS driver by approximately end of Year 2012 if you get lucky. Just wait. Or if you want to mentally torture youself you can try to tinker with fglrx every evening.

Comment

The reason for obtaining the card was explained at the end of the question. I have been using Linux now since late 1993 drivers being slow to appear for recent GPU's has been the normal over this time. In the past it has usually taken 2 to 3 years for GPU drivers to become really usefull. No self torture just being practical.

Response to Kano's points,
        Comment on Windows is noted, the only program I use on Windows is Microsoft Train Simulator. This was released around 2001 and recent hardware and specially drivers are of no benefit what so ever. In fact MSTS renders best with drivers from around 2005. In latter drivers the Antialiasing does not work. I only tried the card in XP to see if it worked. It would be a complete waste to "upgrade" to some thing later. I spent 30 years as a complex systems technician and have have found GREAT value in leaving things alone when working correctly.

The nvidia driver was removed with the provided removal tool. I did a quick check and this appeared to have done its job.

Kano's script was not used for reasons already explained in previous threads. I am on a slow dial up and the script downloads very large (for me) quantitys of packages. The first tine i tried I was ultimately successfull but only after three attempts and around 20 hours of line time at $1.10 Aus an hour. For me this is not reasonable unless NOTHING else works.

Blacksmith

Comment

As soon as you have got all depends installed you can use the script when you put the ati-installer before in /usr/src dir. You can specify older versions using the -v option. You have to use -z on lucid or newer due to kms and reboot then.

Comment

Oops I forgot,
            Thanks for the response's, did not provide an massive quantity of information but that is expected in new hardware.

A number of people in my own circle have said why not wait a year or two and purchase a second hand card. There are two problems there, I live in a relatively remote area such a thing is not that easy or cheap as one would think and i don't use credit/debit cards.. Second point as much more valid, you do NOT know if the card has been cooked by being way overclocked or been in a case with poor vemtilation.

Blacksmith

Comment

A GTX 460 would have be a smarter choice for Linux. I would return the ATI card.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                As soon as you have got all depends installed you can use the script when you put the ati-installer before in /usr/src dir. You can specify older versions using the -v option. You have to use -z on lucid or newer due to kms and reboot then.
                The time I tried the script the thing downloaded everything three times, hence the 20 hours. this has made me some what gun shy of it. I fixed the problem by looking through the script and setting the system up to suit what it was trying to do.

Thanks for the reply,

Blacksmith

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  A GTX 460 would have be a smarter choice for Linux. I would return the ATI card.
                  May get one as well to compare a GTX460 is only $245 AUS. I do not have any other form of electronic entertainmnet other than an interest in AM and shortwave radio so I am not spreading my entertainment budget to thin. I will check out the performance compared to a GTX 260 SOC to see if it is very much better.

Comment

Well the main difference is OpenGL 4 support - or DX11 games. But for that you can not use XP. Lets see when the games with Unigine engine will be ready.

Comment

Working...
                    X